Setting up AGP

Jun 20, 2008
HI there,

It me again. After staying home this weekend(been out of town every weekend for business) I have finally drained, cleaned, scrubbed and starting filling my pool again.

I have a 18x48 pool and it is about 3/4 filled. I Have not added anything to the pool as far as chemicals. I do have water that is coming straight from a well thought filling the pool.

I have on hand right now

3 gallons chlorine
and about 3 bags of shock

pool is a brownish color, but thinks that it is the water from the well.

What should I do now?
I dont want to mess it up again.

Also thanks to the many people on this site, I have upgraded to a 2500 pump/filter and it should be here Tuesday....Gonna start with the 800 that came with pool for now(thats what the pool man said to do)

Misty :lol:

Hi Misty,

What about a test kit? If you have a way to test the water, could you post a set of test results? The brownish tinge is probably from metals which will likely mean you'll need a sequesterant. I would recommend taking a water sample to the pool store and have them run a set of tests for metals, and purchase some sequesterant. You'll also likely need some stabilizer/cya.

Without a full set of test results its difficult to advise you better.

I do have a test kit and its a 3 way from Walmart. I will do that when I get home from work today and post the results.
It is hard to get to a pool store on Sunday, they are all closed. Go figure!

However I asked a neighbor what they did and they said that he pours in 2 gallons of chlorine(walmart stuff) and then 2 packages of vinyl shock and in about 20 minutes the water was sparkling :goodjob: (we have the same pools and pump)

So it is good for now. Still waiting for pump from the internet and as soon as that is hooked up I will be good to go. Now I just have to get this chemical thing down to a science. I have hooked up the pump on a timer so that its being run all the time..

Any other advice that anyone can give would be great for a newbie like me. I am still having a hard time finding out what backwashing a filter is?

Thanks a million, this website is a life saver. :wave:

Sand filters are backwashed, Intex filters are hosed off and/or soaked in a filter-cleaning solution.

The best advice would be to read all the articles in Pool School, like BBB for Beginners, recommended levels, etc., actually try and read them all.....and invest in a good test kit, like the TF-100, at the very least get the 6-way HTH from walmart, for about $16. With that you can measure your CYA.

What's in the "vinyl shock" that he put in his pool? Rather than copy him, you want to understand WHAT you are putting in your pool and WHY....

Well it has been about 3 weeks now and I have been taking my pool water to the pool store and they are telling me that there are little things that need to be done, nothing major though.

Had to add stablizer up stuff to a stocking and let hang in pool until the whole jug is gone.
had to add 1 gallon of acid
Had to add 2 gallons of chlorine

and the water is perfectly clear.
Got my 2500 pump/filter on Thursday with adapters and wow can i see the difference.

Thanks for all that have helped.

Now Im on to Ladders. The ladder that came with mine isnt very sturdy. and we need something...any suggestions???

Misty

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.