New Pool Bid - how does it look?

Aug 8, 2013
Houston, Tx
We have received a bid from a pool builder we will most likely go with. I would appreciate it if some of you pool veterans could look at this and tell me if there are any glaring omissions or things we haven't thought of but should. The one thing that caught my eye at first glance was there was only one pool light. Is it worth it or necessary to add a second? Eager to hear your feedback on all!

Pool Shape: Custom
Pool Perimeter: 109 LF
Pool Area:615 Sq. Ft.
Max Length 34 Feet
Max Width 18.8 Feet
Pool Minimum Depth 3 Feet
Pool Maximum Depth 6 Feet
Approximate Gallons 20,756 Gallons
Spa 40 sq. ft. Raised 18 inches

Structural Specifications:
Excavation: BOBCAT dig/ Home owner to determine access.
Steel Schedule: 4 x 1/2" Box Beam, pool cage to be 3/8"x 10" O.C.B.W.
Pool Structure: Beam to be a 12" box
Pool walls minimum 6"
Pool floors minimum 6"
Coves minimum 8"
Deck dowels to connect pool to decking

Equipment Specifications:
Pool Filter 430 Cartridge with Spa
Filter Pump 2.7 HP VS Pump
Feature Pump 2 HP
Pool Cleaner In Floor
Sanitizer(s) Rainbow 320 Chlorinator and Ozone Joe Ozonator
Heater Hayward 400.000 BTU Heater
Pool Lights 1 Hayward LED Pool Light(s)
Air Blower 1.5 HP Polaris QT Blower

Warranties
Equipment 3 Year Warranty on Equipment
Gunite Warranty Lifetime Structural Warranty
Craftsmanship Warranty 1 Year Warranty on all pool workmanship

Mechanical Specifications:
Skimmers 2 Hayward
Pool Returns 4 1.5" Schedule 40 PVC
Pool Main Drains 2 Anti Entrapment, VGB Compliant
Spa Main Drains 2 Anti Entrapment, VGB Compliant
Pool, Lights and Equipment to be wired persuant to current NEC code.
Sub Panel Included No

Pool Coping, Decking and Drainage:
Coping Material Natural Stone Travertine, Slate, Quartzite, Leuders

Waterline Tile Standard Ceramic
Deck Size/ Material 1330 Sq.Ft. of Stamped Concrete (400 sq.ft.min)
4" Drainage 75 LF
Deck-O-Drain 0 LF
Overflow Line Yes
Fill Line Auto with Vacuum Breaker

Pool Interior
Swimming Pool Interior: Wet Edge Pearl or Satin
Prism for Spa only

Pool Controller
Automation: PDA Prologic PS-8 - Pool Spa

Additional Items
Raised Beams 16 ft of 12 inch raised beam and 15 ft of 18 inch raised beam with ledge stone facing
Pool Entry: Tanning Ledge Per plan with dual bubblers

Benches: Per Plan

ETA: I just realized that our bp has a chlorinator listed when we want a SWG. Will update again once that is changed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
That looks nice.

I would skip the ozone system. They add very little value and is another thing that needs occasional maintenance.

In-floor cleaning has pros and cons. They use more electricity and tend to be expensive to maintain in the long run, on the other hand they are great at keeping the pool clean especially if you have a lot of blown in dust.

Looks great! without being rude, could I ask what this will cost? I really like that layout and I am going to show my wife. We are planning an in ground pool in the near future...(5 years maybe). How many jets are in your spa?

Jason, thanks for your input. What's your feeling on the pool light? Is one adequate?

jimmerz, thanks for your compliment! We went through a lot of pool pictures on Houzz and here to basically end up with a rectangular pool, lol. The pool is going to be around $85k, verified with two different PBs quoting the same price. I dont know how many jets are in the spa. I guess that's a good question to ask my PB.

For a pool that size, I would put two lights in the pool and a third in the spa. However, it really depends on what kind of effect you are after. One light is more than enough to be able to see to swim. Having several lights is about esthetics.

Hi April,
the SWG is a good choice over the ozone thing and the inline chlorinator. You will really like the Saltwater set up.

One thing I noticed. The PB is not including an Electrical Sub Panel. How does he intend to power up the equipment? Is he leaving it up to you to hire an electrical contractor to install one?

Well you have all brought up great points, and my PB says he is impressed with my questions ;) So, he knew we wanted a SWG, just a typo. We will have two lights in the pool and one in the spa. The spa will have 8 jets. Divin Dave, he said the controller has a built-in sub panel. We are tweaking the design of the pool slightly, making a complete rectangle and extending the bench all the way to the stairs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Zimm, his bid states Hayward LED Pool Light(s) - I take that to mean it should be a real pool light? I think of LED lights being smaller anyway but hopefully enough to illuminate the pool. For returns, I see "Pool Returns 4 1.5" Schedule 40 PVC". Where does it say bottom returns? And should there be more/less?

Just make sure the Hayward LED's are the "pool" and not "spa" size in the main pool. My pool has a single spa sized light and I think if I go LED in it, it won't light the pool up enough.

I'm just curious why there are two main drains. I'm no expert on pool builds, but most pools seem to have 1.
from your list: Pool Main Drains 2 Anti Entrapment, VGB Compliant

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.