Thanks, this forum has been an invaluable resource.

Jun 22, 2014
Johnson City, NY
Been lurking on the forums for a week or so now...

Knew nothing about pool care a week ago. Recently moved into a new apartment and the owner was complaining about having had a pool for two (going on three) years. Unfortunately, she spent hundreds at local pool stores and was left with nothing but a cloudy pit of unhealthy water ever since she got the pool!

I'm an engineer by trade, so I take these kinds of things as a challenge. :)

The resources here -- old user success stories with pictures, pool school, chemguy's posts... amazing content. Thanks to all your resources, even though I had absolutely zero knowledge about pool care, I turned the cloudy pit into an oasis in less than a week with nothing but el cheapo HTH test strips and some bottom rack chlorine. Probably spent less than $25 to date and now have a crystal clear pool to swim in (granted, she already had some 15% sodium hypochlorite, test strips, etc. on hand).

I'm cheap, so I'm going to stick out the test strips and what non-phosphors, etc. that I have... but I'll definitely be picking up one of the Taylor test kits in due time. :D

Thanks you to all the mods and contributors that work to keep these forums alive. Chalk up another success story and another person completely sold on the BBB method.

Welcome, and thanks for employing the knowledge to help make a pool a place people can enjoy.:wave:

As an engineer, I'm sure that you know the importance of good, accurate and reliable measurements. Hopefully, you can convince the owner that investing in a proper test kit is going to make it that much easier, better and less expensive to maintain the pool in excellent condition.

Chalk up another success story and another person completely sold on the BBB method.
Welcome to the forum. :wave: As an engineer, does your work ever require you to do testing? Do you do it on the cheap with unreliable and inaccurate testing material that is already "on hand"

I am happy you had good luck with your pool and I hope you will continue to do so.

Please do not lull others into thinking they can get the same results.......it seldom works like that.

My intentions were not to lull people into thinking it's possible to get the same results. Rather, I was trying to point out the success of the method by showing that even using the Fisher Price version of what's recommended, I still got a great result.

To clarify: I have absolutely no idea what my CC or CH is (or was, during the entirety of the SLAM process). I guess I technically didn't even pass the OCLT by that measure. Regardless, as if that's not bad enough, I still don't know anything about my CYA other than it's somewhere between 10-70ish ppm.

tl;dr: Every day is another game of Russian roulette with my pool. :D I hate wasting product, though, so I'll be the fool that takes his chances.

No doubt that a K-2006 is in my future.