New pool owner help please

Jun 17, 2014
Richmond, KY
First pool, installed 6/14/14, AB, 13K gallons, 24' x 52", sand filter

Just received the TF100 test kit yesterday. Been adding one gallon of liquid chlorine daily, water is crystal clear so far.
Test results are as follows:

chlorine .5
pH 7.5
FC 1.5
CC .5
TC 2
CH 225
TA 100
CYA 0

Please tell me what the numbers mean and what I should do now.

Hi.
Welcome to TFP!
COngrats on getting yourself a test kit and posting your real numbers! Expecially on your first post!

FC is what keep your pool sanitized. The level of it depends on what your CYA is. CYA is also known as stabilizer.
Ph is well... Ph... all things have a Ph level. Hi Ph above 8, is considered alkaline and Low PH, in the 6's is considered acidic. 7 is neutral
CC is combined chlorine - its a measure of chlorine that has been killed off battling organics
TC is Total Chlorine. FC + CC = TC. This really is not an indicator of how well your pool is maintained or what you might need to do to it.
CH is Calcium Hardness - it a measure of how much calcium is in the water
TA is Total Alkalinity - its a measure of how capable your water is in buffering PH. Buffering PH means controlling from bouncing around.

On the Home Page of TFP about mid way down the pager are several links. YOu really, really really, need to read Pool School. The big Pool School button at the top of the page will take you there.

Your test numbers are ok except for CYA. You really need to get some CYA in the water. ASAP. CYA protects the Chlorine from being burned off by the suns UV Rays.
CYA can be had a walmart, pool stores, Lowes, HD, Costco, Sams and anyplace else that has a swimming pool section.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

Use the pool calculator to calculate how much stabilizer you need to add.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Thanks for the response, Divin Dave.

I've spent several days reading, reading, reading everything on this site! But its still real confusing for a new pool owner. I've attempted to enter my numbers into Pool Math, just not sure of the outcome.

I bought some granular CYA (3 lbs) and dumped about half of it into a nylon stocking and put it in the skimmer. I'll let it dissolve then test the level again.

The can be very confusing for a new member........we are slowly working on that....it'll get better.

So, your place to start is "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll tell you what the parameters mean and why they are important.....in other words, why you test for them.

Tell me why you added three lbs of CYA? Not a "trick" question, but to help you get started learning.

Hello Tin,
sorry so late getting back. Are you still here?

Like Durleigh says, there is a lot to digest. Let me know how you're coming along.

Thanks for the response, Divin Dave.

I've spent several days reading, reading, reading everything on this site! But its still real confusing for a new pool owner. I've attempted to enter my numbers into Pool Math, just not sure of the outcome.

I bought some granular CYA (3 lbs) and dumped about half of it into a nylon stocking and put it in the skimmer. I'll let it dissolve then test the level again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.