New (Learning the Ropes); Great Site; Thanks TFP!

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
First, a BIG thanks to the keepers of this site for their help. Just having our fiberglass pool installed last year, I quickly fell victim to the "local" pool store guidance. Here in S. Texas (rural/country), it took only half of the 2013 season for our new crystal clear pool to show signs of green cloudiness/power on the bottom and sides. I believe it was probably because that "local store" kept telling me to "add more bags of shock" and crank-up the in-line chlorination, not to mention all the other junk they try to sell, thereby effecting my basic chemistry. This season, I bought "their" best test kit - even though I now know (from your site) it is inadequate for FC & CC testing. Gggrr! Now in 2014, here's what I've been doing ... 1st & foremost.... getting my CH and CYA back to earth. A week ago, CH was over 500 and CYA was over 110. After several days of recycling my water (draining while adding at same time), I have slightly better numbers. Here's where I'm at so far (using my inadequate Leslie's Total Poolcare DPD Tst Kit # 18-576):

FC - well over 5 (best I can do w/ this kit)
ph - 7.5
TA - 140
CH about 350
CYA close to 80.

I just added another 20 oz of acid. Water is a little cloudy (not green though) at the deep end (7'). The green "dust" as I call it might still accumulate on the bottom after a day or two unless I really keep the liquid shock strong and sweep often - which I do. Still working on lowering the CH & CYA. Also have since removed all 3" pucks from my chlorinator and only use liquid bleach until I'm confident the CYA level is good. As expected due to the high CYA, I go through more bleach, and I clean my cartridge filter 1-2 times per day.

Having said all of that, and besides ordering a proper test kit as suggested by TFP, am I missing anything else significant? Any other suggestions that might prove valuable to getting us back to "crystal" clear mode? Thanks in advance folks.

You're late! The rest of the Texans are here already! :lol:

Very nice first post! You are doing a great job.

The TF100 is the best bang for the buck and has great service. I also suggest you get the XL option and a speed stir! That should give you plenty of chems for next summer, too. Store kit properly.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.