What's wrong with my filter?

I vacuumed and cleaned filter baskets today, chemistry has been great.

When the timer kicked on this evening, I could hear outside it was louder than normal. The filter basket at the pump (which from what I understand, needs to be full of water to prime and run correctly) was only about half full.

It fills when I turn the pump off entirely, but as soon as I turn it on, it drops to about half. I've back washed and rinsed the filter, tried adding water to the basket, it just goes away.

Is this an air leak? I had four rowdy boys in it earlier and the water level MAY be a little low. It's supposed to rain this week so I don't want to get over eager with adding.

Turn on the pump and go observe your skimmer(s). If there is air being sucked in, your pool water level is too low and needs to be raised

When I turn the pump on, the basket at the pump empties (not fully), and there is no activity at the pool. I've even tried running the hose into that basket to fill it but it's no use- it fills up when I turn the pump off. I'm adding some water now to see if that helps. Fingers crossed!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.