hayward h250 issue...

Jun 21, 2014
Holmdel, NJ
Started up my pool heater and it will run for an hour or so, then shut off and give me the "IF" error code.

Gas pressure is not an issue, I have already checked the flame sensor and made sure it was clean and connected securely, and I have checked the burner orifices and made sure they were free of any clogs.

It is a direct ignition heater.

Any ideas?

Will it restart after you clear the code? You say gas pressure is not an issue, how did you verify this.

Yes, it will restart, but again, it will only run for 30-45 minutes and then it will shut off and give me the "IF" code again.

As for the gas, I am a union plumber and pipe welder. I put my gauge on the line, and had 9" wc at the valve. Not to mention that this same heater worked all last year.

It can be the ignitor, it also acts as the flame sensor, or it could be the control board. How do you figure out which one it is? You replace one and see if anything changes. I would suggest changing the ignitor first.

Just because it's clean doesn't mean it doesn't have issues. You have to to consider that it's heated all the time when the heater is on. The flames are surrounding it so over time the heat can fatigue the metal and sometimes cause the two wires to maybe lose their ability to sense flame. You are still at the point where you have to try and replace either the ignitor or the control board to see which one is the cause of the issue.

Just because it's clean doesn't mean it doesn't have issues. You have to to consider that it's heated all the time when the heater is on. The flames are surrounding it so over time the heat can fatigue the metal and sometimes cause the two wires to maybe lose their ability to sense flame. You are still at the point where you have to try and replace either the ignitor or the control board to see which one is the cause of the issue.

Ok, thanks.

Not really. Swap one out first and see what happens. Some parts just can't prove if their good or not. I can tell you that 90% of the times it's the ignitor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.