Stain on vinyl liner in deep end

Jun 20, 2014
Elmira, NY
I will try to get a decent picture of this--the glare off the water makes it not show up well.

But in short, the pool sat closed for 4-5 years before we bought the house. No clue how it was winterized. It was a green/black swamp when we opened it this year. After shocking and much vacuuming, it is crystal clear now, but there is a persistent dark stain around the deep end. Basically 1/3 of the pool is about 3' deep, then drops off sharply, so the deep end is essentially a ramp from the sides down into a square level area on the bottom which is the deepest level. Right where the sloped sides meet the level floor, there is a brownish/yellowish stain all the way around that will not come off for love or money. The pool guy said he'd never seen such a thing, but surmised it might come out over time.

There are some lighter yellowish/brownish discolorations on the liner that have indeed gotten lighter over the last few weeks. We really can't go down and test in the deep end with a vitamin C pill to know if they're organic or metal :p, so I'm not sure if it's just permanently discolored from maybe all the maple leaves that rotted down there for years (not to mention some birds and squirrels :pukel:). Any ideas about how to treat this or test it without drowning?

Also there are a few obvious rust stains--pretty small ones--what is the best product for that?

Thanks in advance!!

It is more likely than not organic staining from sitting so long. A slightly higher FC level and weekly brushing should lift it over time. :goodjob:

Had the same thing in my Grecian style pool. I threw a few Vitiamin C pills down there and they disappeared. Metals for sure. Did the ascorbic acid and it looked beautiful. The sequesterant isn't helping mine. Still fighting those stains!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.