return jets up or down / circulation

ChewBiscuit

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
Here's a rough drawing of the lay out of my pool. I aimed my returns upward after removing them, giving them a good scrubbing with a toothbrush, and laying down some fresh thread tape. I like aiming them toward the surface because it creates a calming babbling brook ambience, and I was wondering if given the layout of my pool could I get away with aiming my jets toward the surface and at same time get good circulation and skimming?

I do have a 9 foot deep end on the skimmer side and was worried that I may not be allowing my water proper circulation.

As always thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

I apologize in advance for this drawing. lol

http://s284.photobucket.com/user/bledthemultitude/media/Mobile%20Uploads/SMemo_01.jpg.html

If the returns break the surface they will create a fair bit of aeration. That may or may not be a problem depending on your TA. High TA plus aeration can raise the PH fairly quickly.

You want to aim the returns so that you get consistent water movement through the pool, typically in a circular pattern. It is also a good idea to aim at least one return downwards to make sure you mix in the deeper water.

If the returns break the surface they will create a fair bit ofbetweenon. That may or may not be a problem depending on your TA. High TA plus aeration can raise the PH fairly quickly.

You want to aim the returns so that you get consistent water movement through the pool, typically in a circular pattern. It is also a good idea to aim at least one return downwards to make sure you mix in the deeper water.

Interesting, didnt know it affected TA and Ph. Right now TA is right around 80 and Ph between 7.2 and 7.5. I do have a drain in the deep end and I wondered if that would help circulate the water more. Does that help or should I just re-aim my returns?

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.