Help! Pool builder continued delays

My pool builder dug the hole on april 23. The coping and tile have been completed and the plumbing went in two weeks ago. We are now 10 days beyond contract completion date of 50 days. We contracted at the the end of January and were given a verbal promise of June 1st. Here it is June 21 and we still have pavers, fencing, plaster, equipment to go in. The pool builder keeps promising dates but never meets up to them. Instead, he says that his guys have been working 7 days a week. We have not benefitted from this particularly since the concrete was poured around 5/10. Do you have any suggestions on what might motivate the pool builder? The contract calls for substantial completion within 50 days and my pool is nowhere near substantially completed and we are now 11 days beyond the due date. It is very frustrating. He will likely come through but we are apparently a very low priority. Had I predicted this then we would have waited until the fall when deals are better and gone with a different pool builder.

We can not really offer any advice. What does your contract say? What is the payment schedule? This is likely something you will have to work out with your builder or get a lawyer involved.

I've been having delays with my PB also. I know one thing I did, is told him I'm modifying the payment schedule since he isn't done. So basically he is now getting 20% of his money when he is done. I've also thought of telling him I'm deducting $100 a day for everyday he is past the contract date (unsure if I'll actually do this).

I have the benefit of having him doing some cement work that is done on a verbal agreement (and the work is completed, I've been with holding this payment because of the pool delay). So I may pay the pool contract in full to satisfy the contract and deduct that money from the verbal agreement. He also upgraded my plaster finish free, I was already getting a mini pebble finish and he threw in the abalone to the plaster finish.

Maybe you can get somethings upgraded, plaster finish, decking, auto fill feature, etc...

Just my experience with my pool builder, and me modifying things. My guy is two weeks past due on Wednesday. Sometimes you have to play hardball with contractors.

I'm surprised you were given completion dates! None of the builders I spoke with would commit to a completion date as part of the contract. They gave a general estimate of completion, but also included a list of things that could reasonably delay the project such as rain (a major issue!), unknown issues at property, etc.

I know I had some of that same language in our contract jro. Difference being we live in the desert, and it hasn't rained or had anything happen from Mother Nature that would delay him. Not sure where you're at species, but have to take those weather things into account. Weather wasn't a factor where I'm at. Maybe two days that were extremely windy, where I could understand them not working.

I feel your pain! Our hole was dug on April 1st and we're at the same stage you are only our pavers are 50% completed. But still no equipment, electrics or plaster. Were were given a 6-8 week range for completion, so we're about 3 weeks past that date. We increased the size of the pool deck which means that we owe him more money than what's on the contract, but that doesn't seem to be motivating him to finish. He keeps saying we should be plastering the end of next week. Actually he's said that 3 times, on 3 different weeks. It's hard to be patient when it's 90 degrees out. It helps to know that other people are in the same boat! Good luck, let us know when you make some progress.

We are just starting tile and coping on our major pool/kitchen/fireplace project that was originally supposed to be complete at the end of June. It has been said many times in this forum, you should double the time estimate your builder gives you. This is the first thing I would tell anyone who asks me about building a pool. Good luck.

Bob

You will get to a point where you realize there isn't much you can do. Like you, and based on my experience once we sign the contract there is not much we can do that will get it done quicker. Find peace with that and don't let them get to you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.