Intelliflow-pressure side cleaner, with out a booster pump

-Greg-

Mar 25, 2008
Palm Springs, CA.
The saga continues...

Plumbed the polaris 280 today into the system, added a 3 way jandy valve after the pump/heater/SWG but before the returns (didn't install the JVA yet). Now how to program the pump! Every different configuration I can come up with has failed, this is what I have tried:

1. Low flow rate of 15gpm and the 3 way valve turned so that the cleaner receives all of the return flow. (Pump eventually goes into alarm mode as if the filter is completely clogged)

2. Med. flow rate that the normal pump runs at of 33gpm and the 3 way valve adjusted to bleed some of the flow to the cleaner. Pump ramps up to compensate for the "restriction" in the return, when I bleed enough of for the cleaner to start moving, eventually the pump will once again go into alarm mode as if the filter is clogged.

3. High flow rate of 50 gpm and the 3 way valve once again adjusted to bleed off enough of the return to have the cleaner function. Same end result, pump goes into alarm mode.

I have removed the blue restrictor plate from the polaris return line, and tried all of the above combinations. Anyone know of a way to program or "trick" the smart pump into just simply operate at a specific flow rate without sensoring the flow?

Any help would once again be greatly appreciated!!

Greg

The IntelliFlo has a lot of trouble producing the pressure that a cleaner designed to run with a booster pump expects. Peak pressure is around 35-40 psi at top speed and fairly low flow rates, but as you have seen if the flow rate gets too low the pump will shut down.

When I replaced my 1 HP main pump and 3/4 HP booster pump with an IntelliFlo VF pump, I also replaced my Letro Legend pressure-side cleaner with The Pool Cleaner since it needs much less pressure to operate. It's been working out well for me with The Pool Cleaner operating at a 15 GPM flow rate on a dedicated line that is switched via a valve (I run the cleaner at night).

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.