Hairline crack in concrete coping 1 week after pour- normal?

Jun 12, 2014
SoCal, Ca
I know concrete cracks, but I noticed two cracks in the cantilever coping that was poured 5 days ago. Is this normal so soon?

One crack is on the edge, one is across the top of one section- about 18 inches long.

These are teeny cracks- hairline, but I was still surprised to see them.

Sorry you are having issues. I had cracks in my decking two weeks after - they tell me it's normal and won't fix it - seriously hacks me off. We had a new deck poured at our previous house, they leveled it, put down gravel, then sand, compacted it then added the rebar - never had a crack in three years. That was not the process used here.

Thanks. I didn't think it was normal either. I've had parking lots and driveways poured that didn't crack. PB is gone this weekend so I won't get a response until Monday. I'll put a hold on the project until it's figured out. I went out and took pictures and found three cracks already and it's day 5.

Thank you. I can't seem to figure out how to upload pictures here or else I'd document it here- as that was my original plan. I've found this group so helpful.

The largest, most noticeable crack is right by the tiles in the large picture- so when I walk out the back door and into the pool, I'm going to have to see this discolored cracking coping- what a bummer.

I emailed the sub and the PB directly this morning but don't know if I'll hear back this weekend so I'll stew for the next few days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
942_zps97902139.jpg

Figured out how to post a picture directly....

Wow....I am sorry that you have such trouble with the concrete coping...now I am worried....we are having poured concrete cantilever coping as well, and I have been having 2nd thoughts on this selection....my designer said that since our coping and deck is small, havering the same material for coping and decking will make the space look larger.....but I know it will really bother me if the concrete crack in 5 days of being poured...will talk to them tomorrow.

Wow....I am sorry that you have such trouble with the concrete coping...now I am worried....we are having poured concrete cantilever coping as well, and I have been having 2nd thoughts on this selection....my designer said that since our coping and deck is small, havering the same material for coping and decking will make the space look larger.....but I know it will really bother me if the concrete crack in 5 days of being poured...will talk to them tomorrow.

Had I known I would have several cracks within the first week I certainly would have gone with a different coping- perhaps a precast one or stone. This is a joke & I can't wait to find out what the PB has to say tomorrow. "All concrete cracks" I'm guessing.

Here's a little article I found on why concrete cracks..... :)

The cracking phenomenon is complex and depends upon a number of things; rate and amount of drying, drying shrinkage, tensile strength, tensile strain, creep, elasticity, degree of restaint, and other factors.

While most types of cracking do not affect structural stability or durability, all cracks are unsightly and in extreme cases cracking can reduce the use and servicability of the structure. For this reason, cracking should be kept to a minimum.

In the laboratory, drying shrinkage tests are the most easily and most frequently performed tests in relation to shrinkage/cracking problems. However, there is sometimes too much emphasis on the drying shrinkage of hardened concrete as the criterion of susceptibility to cracking.

Drying shrinkage alone is influenced by many factors - water/cement ratio; amount, fineness and composition of cement; mineral composition, stiffness, shape, surface texture, and grading of the aggregate; characteristics and amount of any admixture; size and shape of the concrete mass; and conditions of humidity and temperature.

Preventative measures at the time of placing and curing remain the best means of minimizing cracking.

Some types and causes

In most cases where cracks appear in concrete the crack can be identified and the cause of cracking established. An extensive survey carried out revealed that concrete cracking can be attributed to the following:
•Construction and supervision problems - approx. 36%.
•Design defects - approx. 27%.
•Ambient conditions (temperature, humidity, etc.) - approx. 21%.
•Quality of materials - approx 17%.

In addition, all cracks can be grouped into two broad categories:
•Cracks occurring before and during hardening.
•Cracks occurring after hardening of concrete.

Actually, you are not upset with the cracks, just the location of the cracks. If they had been just a foot over in the control joint you probably would not care. That's why the control joints are there. Are there any cracks in the control joints themselves?

Your deck will come from a mixing plant so the mix will be right, it won't be built on the top of a concrete structure. Make sure the base is something more than dirt, is well compacted and wet the night before. Pour in the morning before it gets hot. Wet the deck at least a couple times a day for the first week. If is really hot put down a double layer of burlap sacks over the deck and wet them twice a day for the first week. Really important: Make sure the base is well compacted and is at the same height as the top of your bond beam or follows the engineer's detail discussed below.

Depending on what engineer did your plans there may be a detail on the plans about the relationship of the coping to the deck. Go look at the plans and talk about the detail with your builder. Not all builders follow the engineer's detail. There should be a full set of plans with your permit hanging on the fence or house near the pool.

Kudos to the PB, gave me the choice of having them repaired or leaving them. Concrete sub was here and said there was one crack that he thought might get worse & actually fall apart (ledge going into spa spillway) and he felt that should be repaired before the stone was put to the top of the spa. Since he was repairing one, I figured they all might as well be fixed. If they don't match, we can add stain to try to blend them. It was kind of sad to watch them cut out the pretty coping, but after hearing PB concerns with edge of coping falling apart, we knew it had to be done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.