back from vacation and algae entered

Oct 29, 2013
Came back from a 3 day vacation and there was thin layer of algae evenly throughout entire pool surface. My cya was about 40 so I brought the FC up to 16-20 and kept it there all day. I brushed the entire pool twice. The FC level only dropped a little once and I immediately replenished it. My pump and vacuum have been running the entire time. The same night i checked the FC was at 17 right after sunset and right before sunrise it was exactly the same. So everything is passing like i'm out of the woods. My only concern is that when i brushed my pool this morning again i can still see algae coming up.
Is this old algae that is dead and just needs to be filtered out? Or do I still have algae?
Should I keep the FC at shock levels for another day?
And after I let the FC levels fall, at what level is safe for swimming? In other words, with a CYA of 40, what is the highest level of FC that is safe for swimming?

Generally we say it is safe to swim up to normal shock level for your CYA; but, this assumes the pool is clear enough to see the bottom.

You should continue the SLAM process until you pass the three criteria to determine that you are done. See red lines in my sig.

So even though i look through to the bottom of the pool and it is clean and clear when I brush it i can see the algae or maybe its dirt clouds around the brush.
So should I keep slamming until i brush it and nothing shows up?

If you pass all three of hte slam criteria, then the algae that you are stirring up should be dead. If its not dead, then you should not be passing the OCLT and the CCs.
Why dont you just vacuum it out with your vacuum?

my vacuum has been running non stop since i started this process. So I am assuming the algae i am stirring up is dead since i am passing the OCLT and I have no CC's. I guess it will just take a little longer for the vacuum to get it all. I kept the FC at shock levels for an additional day just in case and hopefully all the dead algae will be gone by tomorrow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.