Calcium hardness

jnine

Jun 20, 2014
Deer Park, NY
I'm new to the forum and to testing with anything other than a strip. I bought the TF-100 test kit and did all of the appropriate tests and all I have left to conquer is cloudy water and calcium hardness.

Question: The instructions for this test were a little vague. I put the appropriate # of drops in but when I got to the last one R-0012, I didn't know where to stop. It turned blue after 5 drops and didn't seem to register any change, but that level seems way too low. I kept going up to 25 drops without any color change. It's just blue. Does 50 sound too low (Long Island, New York water)

The cloudy water, I'm assuming, is a result of the algaecide I put in to kill the algae (pool cover cable snapped allowing for debris to enter pool). I've been shocking and have used a clarifier twice. Should I just keep shocking until cloudiness clears? Should I use clarifier again.

Jnine
Above ground vinyl liner 8500 gallons Long Island, NY

My local water is very soft, so to me your water sounds about the same as mine. When I do the test the water first turns a grayish blue, but I continue to add drops until it doesn't change anymore and my end result is a pretty blue. When one more drop doesn't change it any further.... that drop is ignored and I just count the drops up to that point.

Algaecide is more of a preventative chemical rather than a killing chemical. Its use isn't encouraged routinely here, especially one that contains copper. I think doing a full bore SLAM is in order here which means you need a good test kit, plenty of bleach and some patience. Make sure you read Pool School too for directions and pool care tips.

Some parts of Long Island have soft water and I would trust that the calcium level is 50 if you used 25ml of water or 125 if you used 10ml of water. Since your pool is vinyl there is no need to raise the calcium level.

Please read how to SLAM your pool, see my signature, as we very rarely suggest to use anything other than liquid chlorine to clear a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.