Pool dig gone wrong. Could use some advise.

sca10

Sep 10, 2013
Dallas, TX
Just bought an intex 16x32 ultra frame. Wife and I had done a general water level and thought we had a 9 inch dig. Budgeted accordingly. Only planned a 2x8 going along 3 sides part way with a little gravel backfill. Seemed reasonable since 9" down to nothing ain't much. She brought home a transit from her office night before dig. Set up before dig and looked like 15 inches instead of 9. Bobcat guy kept piling dirt on top/house side of pool saying it would help keep water from running into pool area--sounds reasonable but there's supposed to be a 10x20 wood deck there just above ground level. Checked by transit throughout the 4 hour dig (which took 10 hours). He didn't get it wide enough at first so he took off one entire side, breaking the above ground to ****--didn't cut his way through but lifted up till it broke, fracturing the remaining yard part. Had planned on putting a 4 foot deck at pool height around pool with lower/larger deck just above ground height. Now the 4 foot surround deck has no good footing and will need to be much larger, or figure out option. Can't afford to double deck size. I went ahead and drilled post holes for retaining wall inside hole, cleaned up all excess dirt (took 3 days after work and all day Sunday after Saturday dig). Just put the transit back up to check in/around/above and beside pool for other stuff. Found the pool is 6 inches unlevel--too deep in dug out end? Don't know how--just checked transit and found within tolerance (Bosch manual, not laser autolevel). Now I'm totally lost. I'll have to buy more crushed concrete and spread 6 inches to zero in a 20x36 foot area, I guess by hand this time. He spread the crushed concrete I had already, but didn't level it, so I was already screwed up. The post holes I dug now just confuse me--not sure how to fill with 6 inches to nothing and compact area with holes in place. Not sure how to put poles in first and be able to run compactor. Not sure posts and 2x8's are good enough now that the hole is so much deeper than original--It's 24 inches on the sides at the deepest part up to about 36 at the top end--guess I'll have to hand carve all the top off. What have we gotten into. Thought hiring a bobcat/driver/ and dumptruck was the smart method, but it's caused big problems. The budget only goes so far. Any good ideas on how to do retaining and best method of back fill/to what depth--walls are somewhat angled? I have included some pics of current situation--much cleaned up since the dig 6 days ago. I also included a pic of an Israel pool site--has tons of pictures of above ground pool surrounds. Please feel free to critique and suggest how to move forward. Thanks to all.

Oh my goodness. Just looking at one of those pics, my eye detects the slope. :shock:

You're going to need to have a lot of crush delivered and compact it in 3-6 inch lifts with a plate compactor to bring that slope up. There is no other way to safely add to the site. Your other option will be to now dig down the high side to be level with the low side. That's a lot of digging. Cheaper than crush but more labor intensive.

How to level 16X32 pool?

We are in the process of installing an intex ultra frame 16X32. Having tons of problems, but that's on another post. Once the problems are corrected we will level the area using crushed concrete 3/8 or less, then put 1" foam on top. Plan on using 8x16 concrete pads under the 24 legs just because I have them already. My 2 questions are: 1. Are the 8x16 pads big/strong enough? 2. What's the best way to level out the area--actual leg area is 17'10" x 34'. Obviously much larger than doing a round pool, and not sure how to use a center pinned board to spin around since it's a rectangle. Any help would be appreciated. Any links to similar leveling tasks would be great. Thanks

Re: How to level 16X32 pool?

The best approach is to setup either a laser level or a water level and use that to get a consistent reference to how you are doing.

If the concrete pads are 2" thick, or thicker, they should be just fine.

We are using a transit to set level points. My actual question is how to get the crushed concrete spread to level across such a large area. I don't have any previous experience with this type of work. I've seen people spreading with a board, but don't know how to do that about 18 ft. wide.

The precision with which you level the concrete 8x16 blocks is pretty critical. Less than 1/2 inch in any variation and 1/4" would be even better for a really pro looking job.

The precision with which you level the surrounding fill (crushed concrete) is not nearly as critical. They can be a bit "wavy" but you will do well to keep your entire substrate within an inch of level......that'll give you a VERY nice job.

One common approach is to place electrical conduit, or small diameter PVC pipe, in the dirt at six to ten foot intervals, use the level/transit to make sure the conduit/pipe is perfectly level. A 2x4 can then be run across the area balanced on the pipes/conduit showing the correct height across the entire area. Setting the conduit/pipe takes a moment, but once done everything else becomes easy.

Sounds like a good idea. I'll try it once we fix all the problems leading to the level process. Could take me 3-4 weeks of free time just to get there--raining now so getting nothing done on day off!

Ok no one has mentioned that your pool when completely full, will weigh 51 tonnes..... 2 inch pavers will snap like twigs.... For the large rectangle intex type pool you need at least 4 inches thick.... People with your size pool go with trailer pavers.... 16x16x4... :)

Pool dug 4 inches too deep on one end? What should I do?

We recently hired a bobcat driver to dig for an intex 16x32. Yard was unlevel--call it 2 foot--it is dug too deep towards the dug in side. I already dug post holes for retaining wall supports before we realized it was too deep. He already spread, then drove around compacting 6 yards of crushed concrete after the original dig. I plan on putting some tar based "something" from big box store on bottom 2 feet of posts. I will need to get another 6-7 yards of crushed concrete to level, then rent a compactor this time. My concern is how well water will drain out of the area. There will be 4 inches deeper of crusher in the back, while going towards the front will have more hard clay (Dallas, TX area). I'm scared water won't want to run out. I could put the black drain pipe behind the wall but that will make it a reversed slope and would simply drain to the back side? Not sure what to do, and can't afford much more. I've included one pic.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.