New above ground Pool Fill - Confused on shopping list of needed items

JD880

Jun 20, 2014
Wayne, NJ
Hello all, I've been reading through here a lot but still a little confused on what I need to buy:

I am having a new 24' round above ground installed this Monday, hoping it all goes well then I can start filling it up. I will not have a filter hooked up for at least 2 weeks due to an electrical issue with my home. I am pretty sure i need to start filling the pool after its installed, so the thing doesn't collapse.

My question is on what I should exactly be buying, I am confused on this after reading the chemical section and using the pool calculator. The last time I "maintained" a pool was probably 25 years ago, parents pool and all I remember doing was adding chlorine tabs and running the filter.

I am going to order the recommended test kit, TF-100, should hopefully get here by end of next week.

I originally thought I was just going to go to the local pool supply and buy the spring start up kit and chlorine, but now I'm confused.

Without the filter in place for a couple of weeks, should I start filling the pool?

After being filled, I would assume most of the numbers in the pool calculator will be zero. I used the settings for TFP and is this what it says I need to add:

Approx. 121 oz of 6% bleach (does this take the place of the chlorine tabs?)

159 pounds of washing soda/soda ash or 316 pounds of borax - this can't be right??

21 pounds of baking soda

35 pounds of calcium chloride or 47 pounds of calcium chloride dihydrate

81oz of stablizer or 202 oz of liquid stablizer.

Assuming 80 degree temps.

Something doesn't seem right, almost 400 pounds of chemicals? Do I have to wait for the filter to be working to add everything and do I add it all at once.

I really appreciate any help before I attempt to go buy this stuff, I know I am missing something here. Thanks a lot!

You are right, those won't be exactly right. Your pH, calcium hardness, and TA won't be zero. You will need to test your water to find out those levels after you fill. Good call on the TF-100, get that ordered right away.

You should keep some chlorine in the pool even before your pump runs. Keeping your FC up and brushing or in some other way circulating the water will help keep things clear until you get the pump running.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.