Chlorine consumption and TA

raidencmc

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 18, 2011
Cochranville, PA
My chlorine consumption has doubled this year. Last year on a sunny day I used 2ppm every day and this year it is about 4.

FC 6.5
CC is never more then .5
TA 120
CYA 30
pH 7.5

I don't remember what my CYA was last year and that might be the reason I am consuming more chlorine. But I sure it was withing range. I added CYA to bring it up to 40 last night. So I guess my question is "Do I have some hidden organics or is it because my CYA is 30 and maybe it was 40 or 50 last year?"

Also wondering about the TA. Pool school recommends TA 70-90+. Is there any benefit to reducing it?

A high Ta will tend to make Ph rise faster. You may need to go to 50 cya after seeing what 40 does. My experience is that 10 points of increase in cya ain't that much. You have a SWG on that pool?

Just an update. So I never got around to doing the OCLT test, but I did raise the CYA. I didn't see any notable change. So today I got in and ran the vacuum. I tapped the seem around the perimeter of the bottom of the pool and some green came out. So I grabbed a small brush and and scrubbed the seem. It was horrible. When I was done the pool was the dirtiest it has ever been. So I vacuumed and slammed!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.