New Plaster; Going on Vacation! Help!

jro33176

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 30, 2013
Miami, FL
I have a dilemma brewing. I asked in my build thread, but really would like some feedback so I created a new thread for it.

We are leaving town for about 2 weeks at the end of July. I NEVER dreamed the pool would be unfinished at this point when we signed a contract in early FEB!! PB estimates the plaster (Florida GEM quartz aggregate) is going to be applied, at best, right around July 4th and, at worst, just before we head out of town.

What is recommended? Once the pool is plastered, aren't I supposed to brush all the time? PB recommends hiring their service (how convenient, isn't it?) for the first month to manage the pool until the SWG is turned on. They won't come everyday to brush, but they do come 2x week to clean, brush and manage chemicals.

My other option would be to delay the plastering of the pool until we return. No one in my family likes this idea (including me, I suppose). By the time we would get back, hassle PB about coming back out to do plaster, etc., the kids will be back in school. No joke! They start Aug 18th!!

Choices seem to be:
1.) pool service - chemical, monitor equipment and brush 2x week. Must pay for at least a month.
2.) hire someone to come and brush everyday and make sure pool company cleans filter and everything else?
3.) wait to fill until we return?

Any insight?

I think this could potentially turn into a warranty issue later on. If you do not hire them(what your PB suggests) they can come back and blame you if an issue something comes up with the plastering/color finish/initial startup, etc. I would go with your PB on this for a month and then I would take it from there. That is just my $0.02.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I had same issue. Hired a pool service to keep acid in pool and brush daily for 30 days. Cost me $500.

Hire someone else to keep up with pool. I can't believe your pool builder thinks twice a week is sufficient. Sad.

Sent from my GS3 on Cyanogenmod with T2.

I think this could potentially turn into a warranty issue later on. If you do not hire them(what your PB suggests) they can come back and blame you if an issue something comes up with the plastering/color finish/initial startup, etc. I would go with your PB on this for a month and then I would take it from there. That is just my $0.02.

I agree with this and the only other option would be to hold off and listen to kids wail because they didn't get to swim. Is keeping the kids quiet and happy worth the amount the pool builder would charge? I don't know if I could trust someone with my brand new baby to not mess the warranty up. So you're only real options (if it were mine) are to hire pool company til you get back or listen to the kiddies cry. :shock:

I have a dilemma brewing. I asked in my build thread, but really would like some feedback so I created a new thread for it.

We are leaving town for about 2 weeks at the end of July. I NEVER dreamed the pool would be unfinished at this point when we signed a contract in early FEB!! PB estimates the plaster (Florida GEM quartz aggregate) is going to be applied, at best, right around July 4th and, at worst, just before we head out of town.

What is recommended? Once the pool is plastered, aren't I supposed to brush all the time? PB recommends hiring their service (how convenient, isn't it?) for the first month to manage the pool until the SWG is turned on. They won't come everyday to brush, but they do come 2x week to clean, brush and manage chemicals.

My other option would be to delay the plastering of the pool until we return. No one in my family likes this idea (including me, I suppose). By the time we would get back, hassle PB about coming back out to do plaster, etc., the kids will be back in school. No joke! They start Aug 18th!!

Choices seem to be:
1.) pool service - chemical, monitor equipment and brush 2x week. Must pay for at least a month.
2.) hire someone to come and brush everyday and make sure pool company cleans filter and everything else?
3.) wait to fill until we return?

Any insight?
If you don't mind me asking, are they charging you $500 per month? I sure hope not.

If you don't mind me asking, are they charging you $500 per month? I sure hope not.

Yep. Just for one month. I thought it was steep but I couldn't find anyone else willing to sweep daily and add acid.

$500 was a lot, but the peace of mind was worth it.

Sent from my GS3 on Cyanogenmod with T2.

Hmm, thanks for your replies. Those are good points about going with the PB's recommendation for potential warranty issues. The PB's pool service company offers a "start up" package that includes 2 services per week for 4-6 weeks. I believe this includes getting the SWG running and is about $150 - $200 in total. After that, you can continue with them and choose a "regular service package."

I will talk to the pool service guys and see if I can modify their plan of coming out 2x per week. If not, I think I will go with them for the first month coming out 2x per week and maybe hire someone on the side (a pool sitter?) to come out and at least brush the pool everyday...

Thank you so much for responding. I'm feeling better about it already...

It needs to be brushed twice daily early on. If that can't be done then it's option 3. I would also tell him you want to take care of the water and will follow the NPC procedures. He can't argue with those. If you want it done right, do it yourself.

That's my $.02.

Doing the right thing and listening to your kids are often times mutually exclusive options.

The tough love approach, bmoreswim?
I haven't completely ruled out that possibility, but would like to avoid it if I can.
I will definitely be taking over the pool once I return. Just need to manage a 2 week time period, if possible...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good luck with your decision. We have a similar issue (but not as major of an impact on the time delay as plaster - especially when so close to the finish) but if the tile/coping drystack guys don't start today - (since they didn't start Wed or Thurs or Friday of this week) - we'll have to push them another week. On the plaster, somewhere on this forum, someone posted that when they were checking the lot numbers on the bags that got delivered, they weren't all the same. It's things like that, that make me feel like I need to remain vigilant on each step. (Bob's wife)

Is your pool equipment ready to go once the water is added. Once the plaster is added they will start filling. Once the fill starts it needs to fill until full or it will leave a ring where they stop filling with water. I was in the same dilemma and had to rely on neighbors and family to watch the fill on our pool while we were out of town the weekend the pool was filled. IMO I'd wait a few days on the plastering.

Todd

I went ahead and read this entire thread again and have a question. I hope I am not hijaking your thread jro33176?
My question is, once plaster is done, aren't we supposed to fill the pool right away? Or not necessarily.

I would either hire someone or delay your vacation (assuming it's a vacation taking you out of town). I'm a bit like you on the pool build- I don't want any delays.. I have cancelled two trips in June because I want to be present- if for nothing else than to push the project along.

Good luck.

I think everyone will agree with you, RangerBob's wife! Everything needs to be checked and verified! My deck pavers were not installed in the pattern I chose. I could have insisted they stop and redo it, but was happy enough with how it looked to keep it.

Teknic - you are correct. Once they complete the plaster, you immediately start filling the pool. I will definitely delay the plaster if it gets too chose to vacation time. I want to be here for the plaster application, water fill, initial dump of chemicals and first round of brushing. I figure that's at least 8-10 days before I go.

We have plane tickets so I cannot really change my vacation dates.

I think everyone will agree with you, RangerBob's wife! Everything needs to be checked and verified! My deck pavers were not installed in the pattern I chose. I could have insisted they stop and redo it, but was happy enough with how it looked to keep it.

Teknic - you are correct. Once they complete the plaster, you immediately start filling the pool. I will definitely delay the plaster if it gets too chose to vacation time. I want to be here for the plaster application, water fill, initial dump of chemicals and first round of brushing. I figure that's at least 8-10 days before I go.

We have plane tickets so I cannot really change my vacation dates.
Thanks!

Yeah,I guess so. ?. If I see a very key point that seems to be being missed, I think the best way is to be straight forward. I was understanding that the other options would have not allowed for very frequent brushing during the most vital time in a pool's life.

I may be over estimating the importance of this idea hence the $.02.

On the kid comment, that probably came from just talking with parents who couldn't stop complaining about how busy their schedules are because of their kids sports. As if the kids went out and signed themselves up for all the stuff.

My only other relevant piece of advice is that you don't know what details will be missed by not being on-site for a key step. Plaster day would have had two issues if I wasn't present. One of which I never would have contemplated ahead of time. Several other key days brought the same type of scenarios.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.