Yipes! Unclear product instructions HTH Green to Blue - help needed

MelK

Jun 20, 2014
Norwood/NY
Hi, I'm new to these forums.

My mom and I both work on her pool. We've opened late this year, as every year, the filter experienced problems that needed to be taken to the shop. Once we were up and going we ran into more and more problems. For one, the water wasn't clear to start like it usually is because nature takes it's course vigorously in the spring and we hadn't been able to open immediately.

It was so polluted we couldn't see the bottom to get all the debris. The debris was so broken down that the leaf rake couldn't catch it. Instead of vacuuming to waste it went into the filter (oops), that's when the valves seized. All the worms and bugs and stuff rotted and stank up the sand so mom decided to change the sand out, once again since last year. (We really shouldn't have to change the sand out every year, but something always occurs that causes that to be part of the troubleshoot and mom opts to change the sand).

The important part of that part of the story is that we have already changed the sand out this year. Yes, I think something bad may have happened to the new sand, and could use some advice or words of encouragement.

To continue the late opener we added HTH Green to Blue (1 box of 4 packets treats 10,000 gal). The instructions say to add the II packet down the skimmer. It's a flocculant, and nowhere does HTH say which circulation setting the filter is to be set on. I just read that if you put flocculant down the filter it will clump your sand, and the person writing that testified he had to go get new sand.

We are still waiting for the milky blue water to clear up. Continuing regular maintenance like shock, vacuum, enzyme doses. I'm waiting for the filter to get set up before doing any backwashes. Some sediment is settling on the bottom every few days. I'm vacuuming that into the filter to try and add more debris to set the filter (or should I be bypassing the filter for this?). It might be stuff from swimmers or equipment.

I'm really more worried about what the floc might have done to our sand, and getting out of changing it again if possible:
-The filter is taking it's sweet time to reduce flow, I'm worried that it's channeling
-Is this a real concern with this product?
-Would a filter shampoo fix it instead of replacing the sand if it really does clump the sand? (The sand was new when the stuff was put down it).
-Would floc just wear out eventually and break up naturally?

We'll be using recirculate from now on, but we're not likely to remember this next year as the product label does not specify the circulation setting.

Thanks everyone!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I did not once see where you said that you tested the chemistry so that you would know what needed to be added. Just about everything you have put in the pool are products that pool stores like to sell, but that we would never recommend using ... water under the bridge at this point and we can help get you fixed up :D

Do you have any test kit? I would highly recommend you invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits and post up a full set of test results when you get it.

In the meantime I would suggest you start to read Pool School. Beginning with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Hi jb, thanks for the welcome! I can't find my journal, but I did get the PH and TA down to recommended levels. Something like 60 TA and 7.2-7.6 PH. We're going to test and adjust bromine later because if we decide to dump the pool, or have to do a huge vac to waste that will just be more money tossed on the lawn. Chlorine has been testing at the max 3.0. My kit tests chlorine and free chlorine by reading colors at 10 seconds and 5 minutes. With four tabs in the system, and I shocked this afternoon I don't have a more recent reading than Monday, which was 3.0 no further color development.
We have high TA 120* PH 8.0-8.2 water from the tap and high gh and kh. It's liquid rock. I use PH Down to break the TA.
My question is what will the floc do when it's run through the sand filter? Will it clump it?

There have been a number of reports of problems with the kind of floc they use clogging up filters. If you use it at all, you should get it mixed into the water, turn off the pump, wait for everything to settle, and then only vacuum to waste until the floc is all vacuumed up.

Okay thank you. I might write them and ask them to fix their directions as they tell you to put it down the skimmer but don't tell you to set your filter on recirculate. If you don't know to do this, it is easily interpreted to do it on filter, which is where you keep your pool set at normally. Thank you very much!

I'm just going to add that your current method is very complicated and it is not necessary for pool opening/closing or maintenance to be this complicated.

The TFP methods are very simple and use very few basic "ingredients". Bags of this, tabs of that, buckets of the other...= very expensive and the results are hit or miss!

With the proper test kit we test our water and only add what it needs and most of that can usually be purchased at the grocery store or wal-mart etc.

If you get tired of going around and around with your current method...

Step 1: get one of the test kits we recommend (link in jblizzles first reply) and we will show you how easy *and simple* it can be!

Questions can always be posted here and responses come quickly.

Welcome to TFP!

Thank you kindly for offering to help, our water is clear today. One magnitude away from being crystal clear. I've just noticed your site deals only with BBB systems, which is unsuitable for our situation. And yes I have a good and proper test kit. I didn't see any reason to test and post for my particular question. I also keep fish so I can also track swimmer pee through the nitrification cycle. But I really want to thank you for your input on the effects of adding G2B directly to the skimmer in filter mode. It might be the answer why our filter head breaks every year (possibly from over pressure). I haven't heard back yet from hth, I suppose it will take some time for them to determine if they will fix the directions on their label. I'll be looking for a different algaecide and floc to habit, one with clear instructions so this doesn't happen anymore. Have a great summer everyone! Enjoy the water!

You misunderstand the point of this forum ... to teach people to maintain their own pools, and through proper testing only adding what is needed. You can use whatever chemicals you want, but some learning would certainly save you time and money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.