waterbugs57

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2012
SW Pennsylvania
Hi all,
looking for some input. My pool looked all pretty and sparkling so far this season. I was away for 2 days and todays test gave me FC .5 cc 0-.5 CYA 20. I have had to drain a couple of times due to rainfall so I understand why the CYA is 20 but my water looks a little cloudy and there is a substance on the bottom only. I want to think it is pollen because I see it everyday floating until the skimmer gets it and I have a lot of wrinkled and divots, imperfections in the liner and that is where the substance is. I don't know if I have the beginnings of a bloom or not. I don't really have the experience to judge. Can I rely on the test @ for CC? I have posted a pic or two....I did add chlorine and brought my level to 5.5 and added a couple of lbs of stabilizer...

- - - Updated - - -

pictures will not upload...

Bo, fixed that privacy setting. My FC reading at this early hour reads no chlorine loss, it is still 12. Not sure which direction to move(except back to bed). I will vacuum and brush and assess water quality in the daylight. I will keep my chlorine at shock level in the mean time until I can figure out what is going on. Thanks for any input.-Melinda

Good afternoon, so I learned a that the issue I am having is almost certainly algae simply by the increase overnight and the green clouds that I could see when brushing. What I don't understand is why I had no loss in FC overnight and my CCs stay at 0. I have my FC at 17 ( a little overkill for the 27 CYA) and am adding some stabilizer as per calculator. I am going to test every hour through out the day and ON chlorine loss test in the am. I am on my last couple days of vacation from work. Just don't understand why the tests were not definitive. Should I consider that with the visual in the pics and the .5 FC reading that algae would indeed be present?
Thanks for the help and patience. I am learning...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello all. I thought I would follow up on this post, if it helps someone else. The problem I saw in my pool was algae due to low chlorine levels. I learned that the algae doesn't care what is going on in your life, it is waiting for an opportunity and will take it. Thank goodness for TFP. I followed the steps for SLAMing and maintained the chlorine levels, brushed the pool a few times, performed the overnight loss tests and ran the filter non-stop for 5 days. It was probably a little overkill to keep the FC at 12 as long as I did...but I needed to be sure it was gone. I have changed the minimum FC level in my pool-closer to 4 and 5 instead od the lower end of the range. Is there any reason why I should not? I need a little cushion....just in case. Thank you for your guidance...- Melinda

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.