Sand Filter vs. pump problems

Jun 19, 2014
new albany, MS
16x32x52 above ground pool, 20" sand filter, 2 HP pump. New Spider gasket & continually get sand back in pool on a yearly basis. Every year, I've had to change sand & underdrain assembly thinking this is the problem (Doughboy Pool, filter, & pump- no laterals with this filter) I'm thinking the pump is too big for my filter or the filter is a "lemon". I need help! Does anyone have any thoughts or answers? I'm at my wits end & about to bury it. But my "grandkids" don't want me to bury pool. Pool just 5 years old. Have had this problem for the last 3-4 years.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I kind of feel like that pump may be too big for that filter as well.

Can you add more details about the specific models? Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Do you have the Doughboy Media Master 1900 filter? Strange, nowhere on their site or in the documentation to they say what the maximum pressure and flow rate are. But the flow rate won't be too different from other manufacturers.

After doing some quick research... A typical 20" diameter sand filter is rated to handle about 50 gallons per minute max. A 2-hp pump will be trying to push 80 to 100 gallons per minute (varying greatly depending on pump and plumbing). So, yes, without even seeing the exact specs for your equipment, one can deduce with near certainty that your pump is waaay too powerful for your filter.

Personally, with that size filter and that size pool, I'd think a 1-hp pump would be perfect. But I'm not an expert (yet!), so don't take my word on it. Hopefully a moderator will move this thread into the "Pumping Station" sub-forum, and you'll get some more educated responses. :)

Another thought... After backwashing, are you remembering to "Filter to Waste" (also known as "Rinse") for a few seconds before returning to regular filter mode? If you don't, that can send a little sand and debris into the pool. But this debris will be a one-shot deal, not a continuous accumulation in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.