Best sand filter brand (make and models)

May 31, 2013
New Jersey
Our sand filter is 14 years old (Sparco) and it needs to be replaced before we put more money into it. (This was the filter of the previous owner so we had no choice in that matter, but overall, this filter has never given us issues until now.)

The pool place near us gave us a quote for Pentair, a Sand Dollar filter. Anyone familiar? I am just starting to research before we make any decisions on which brand to go with and came here first.

There is no "best". Sand filters are all basically the same and any of the major manufacturers are going to be very similar quality.

What size are you considering? I would suggest pretty big for your pool size. Given your shorter season, maybe at least 25" diameter or so.

Choosing brands is like GM, Ford, or Honda.....who knows? (although you'll get plenty of opinions)

Choose a pump that matches your pool size and then choose a filter that matches well with the pump. There's a couple of articles in Pool School that may help (Pump basics, filter comparisons)

Ok. The Pentair SD-80 is what we were quoted. It is a 26 inch, 3.5 sq. ft. filter area, for our 25,000 galloon pool. We have a Hayward Super Pump High Performance 1-HP, single speed pump (we have no water features or anything like that). We just bought the pump about a year or so ago, so we definitely are not replacing that.

I am not very familiar with filters, as you can tell. Our pool overall is 1,175 sq. feet estimated. Does the Pentair SD-80, with the requirements above, seem to jive with the 1-HP Hayward pump we have? (I'm new to this filter/pump thing so don't mind my stupid questions! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.