Calcium hardness and vinyl liner

Erack

Jun 16, 2014
Mebane, NC
This has nothing to do with my other thread and pool issue :)

So I now understand after reading here as well as other documentation that CH is not something people with vinyl liners need to worry about unless it is too high.

Here's the thing that others might like to know as well.

I had a pool store employee tell me, after they agreed of the need for CH in plaster and concrete pools, that you do need it in vinyl pools too because without the CH the liner will get brittle.

I just smiled and nodded. lol

Am I correct in that that statement was bunk?

I think the answer is that there is no REALLY definitive answer.

We (the forum) all know that too much CH in any pool is a bad thing......that's easy enough

We also know that too little CH in a plaster pool is not good in that the water can actually "steal" CH from the plaster. So, we generally say about 250 ppm minimum for a plaster pool.

It is not completely clear to me (but maybe others?) that there is an absolute minimum CH for Vinyl pools.....and if there is, I am not sure we definitively know why or even why not.

The forum has pretty much taken the position there is no minimum but I am not sure we have ever received validation from a manufacturer of liners.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.