Leslie's test results: FAC 5, TAC 5, CYA 99 - I'm confused!

Jun 20, 2014
Houston, TX
Had a piece of the DE filter grid break off and clog the pool inlet nozzle. Created a huge algae problem. Finally got the clog fixed, started up the pool, brushed it down and after a few days noticed no flow. Turns out the algae had clogged the filter. Took the filter out, cleaned it, added filter aid ran 48 hrs., backwashed and added more DE.

Water was clear but I noticed a slight algae issue again. Tested the water with Leslie's basic OT kit and found the chlorine darker that 5. Took a water sample into Leslie's thinking that my OT solution was too old and got back the test results you see in the title.

I do not understand how the FAC and the TAC can be the same. The other numbers supplied by Leslie's: CH 260, TA 80, pH 7.4, Pho 100.

One, is the pool safe to use? Two, should we use PhosFree to lower the Phosphates? Three, how do I get the numbers to the correct range?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Algae is due to improper chemistry, not pump or filter problems. My pool stayed algae free for 2 weeks in the AZ summer without a running pump by maintaining adequate FC levels.

The FC and TC are ideally the same: TC = FC + CC and the CC should be near zero.

Phosphates are meaningless if you maintain adequate FC (which depends on your CYA level). That is just a way for the pool stores to make money.

If you want to take control of the pool, you need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits. Pool store testing is notoriously inaccurate and inconsistent.

From the looks of things, your CYA is WAY too high and your FC is WAY too low for your high CYA level to prevent algae from starting. See the FC/CYA Chart.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Howdy and welcome :wave: Another member from Texas! We'll make room :smile:

The best thing you can do is get one of the recommended test kits. The TF100 is the fav around here. You get more bang for your buck (Taylor chems) and excellent service! Link in my sig.

It would be helpful if you add your pool and equipment info in your sig.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.