Question - Automatic Timer for Pump/Filter

Jun 19, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
As I am getting set up, I am looking for opportunities to simplify my maintenance process.

So - can anyone give me advice on how hard it is to set up an automatic timer for my pump? I have a dedicated circuit set up for my filter and pump, that has an outlet and a switch in a plastic box. the pump has a 3 prong plug that goes into the outlet.

It is hard to tell looking at timers online how they are actually installed, and I cannot find instructions anywhere. Do you have to chop off the plug end of the cord and then connect the wires to the timer? Does the timer plug in, or does that have to be hard wired too? Is there an issue that my circuit only has one outlet?

Any tips would be much appreciated. I tend to just let the thing run all the time vs forgetting to have it run at all, and I am scared to see net months power bill....

I use this
078275091276md.jpg

Got it at Lowe's for under $20
My pump runs for 2 six hour cycles.
6am - 12pm and 6pm - 12am

Pretty simple to hook up too, it has it's own plug which plugs into the wall the you just plug the pump into the timer.

They have other heavier duty ones as well which have it's own circuit breaker and better programming features. This one only has 1 -2 time settings.

Crzyfrlss1 said:
I use this
078275091276md.jpg

Pretty simple to hook up too, it has it's own plug which plugs into the wall the you just plug the pump into the timer.

They have other heavier duty ones as well which have it's own circuit breaker and better programming features. This one only has 1 -2 time settings.

I use the same thing, mine's rated for 15 amps and my pump os oly 10.5. I have it set for one 9 hour cycle for the solar. If I notice the pool is dirty, I will take out the OFF pin so the pump goes all night.

launboy said:
Crzyfrlss1 said:
I use this
078275091276md.jpg

I use the same thing, mine's rated for 15 amps and my pump os oly 10.5. I have it set for one 9 hour cycle for the solar. If I notice the pool is dirty, I will take out the OFF pin so the pump goes all night.

Pretty stinking popular timer. I use the same thing! I have it set for 3 hours in the early AM, and 3 hours around dusk. I also use the manual override often when we are in the pool and there are a few bugs floating around. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.