Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question - Automatic Timer for Pump/Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Question - Automatic Timer for Pump/Filter

As I am getting set up, I am looking for opportunities to simplify my maintenance process.

So - can anyone give me advice on how hard it is to set up an automatic timer for my pump? I have a dedicated circuit set up for my filter and pump, that has an outlet and a switch in a plastic box. the pump has a 3 prong plug that goes into the outlet.

It is hard to tell looking at timers online how they are actually installed, and I cannot find instructions anywhere. Do you have to chop off the plug end of the cord and then connect the wires to the timer? Does the timer plug in, or does that have to be hard wired too? Is there an issue that my circuit only has one outlet?

Any tips would be much appreciated. I tend to just let the thing run all the time vs forgetting to have it run at all, and I am scared to see net months power bill....
    Mighty Sun/Asahi Midland Bracelss Oval 21 ' x 41' ft with a 6.5 ft deep end! 30,000 gallons of FUN
    Hayward Xstream Cartridge Filter with 150 1.5HP pump
    Pentair Aqualuminator
    Pentair Great White Cleaner/Pool Rover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question - Automatic Timer for Pump/Filter

Hi Mike,

I have an Intermatic T101R which is hard wired to the pump's dedicated circuit in the basement by the breaker box. We had an electrician do the work.
    This site has some decent installation info though it's hard to read on my monitor.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

3. Back To Top    #3

I use this

Got it at Lowe's for under $20
    My pump runs for 2 six hour cycles.
    6am - 12pm and 6pm - 12am

Pretty simple to hook up too, it has it's own plug which plugs into the wall the you just plug the pump into the timer.

They have other heavier duty ones as well which have it's own circuit breaker and better programming features. This one only has 1 -2 time settings.
    Intex 15' X 48" metal frame pool
    Waterway Supreme 1hp 2 Speed pump
    Hayward X-Stream 150 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter
    2-2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels hooked up in parallel on a Goldline GL-235 controller.

Not getting "Pool Stored" = Priceless!!!
    Thank you TFP

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Crzyfrlss1
    I use this

Pretty simple to hook up too, it has it's own plug which plugs into the wall the you just plug the pump into the timer.

They have other heavier duty ones as well which have it's own circuit breaker and better programming features. This one only has 1 -2 time settings.
    I use the same thing, mine's rated for 15 amps and my pump os oly 10.5. I have it set for one 9 hour cycle for the solar. If I notice the pool is dirty, I will take out the OFF pin so the pump goes all night.
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by launboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Crzyfrlss1
    I use this

I use the same thing, mine's rated for 15 amps and my pump os oly 10.5. I have it set for one 9 hour cycle for the solar. If I notice the pool is dirty, I will take out the OFF pin so the pump goes all night.
    Pretty stinking popular timer. I use the same thing! I have it set for 3 hours in the early AM, and 3 hours around dusk. I also use the manual override often when we are in the pool and there are a few bugs floating around.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner