New Pool - New Fill - Advice Sought

vnkt0207

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
I will be starting up a used (but new to me) pool to be filled with city water. I am looking for advice on what levels are important as the pool fills and at what point to start treatment.

I have been study the site which has ton of great information. I would image CYA level will be almost zero coming from the tap. And that FC will be too low as well. I was planning on starting to add stabilizer to raise CYA almost immediately. Pool calculator estimages 41 oz of stabilizer for this pool to achieve CYA of 40. I also plan on adding liquid bleach daily to match test results with aim of FC level of 3 to 4. Does this make sense, and at what point should I become concerned about pH and alkalinity?

Thank you.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

CYA will not be almost zero. It WILL be zero.

Sounds like you have a good grasp. Add a couple ppm bleach immediately and get the CYA dissolving. Once the pool is full and circulated for an hour ... test the pH and TA to see if they need adjustment.

Did you already invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits?

You'll want to have the CYA in an old sock in front of a return jet which can only be done once the pump is running. It takes a while to dissolve so if you add it when you start filling it's likely to all still be there by the time it's full! People regularly run into the hundreds of ppm CYA without damage. Unless you put 40ppm equivalent in like 100 gallons I think you'll be fine. :)

Don't sweat CYA too much just yet, though. You technically* don't even need it - it's just there to keep chlorine sticking around and not being burned off by the sunlight. It will also take about a week to fully register on the CYA test so just add about 3/4 of what poolmath tells you, in a sock in front of the return, once the pump is running - and forget about it until a week later. Then you can test and go from there.

How are you filling the pool? Garden hose? The fill water should be cold enough that algae won't just pop up overnight. You can probably get by just fine by adding nothing until it's full (provided it won't take more than a couple of days). If you really want to start adding chlorine, add a half of what's needed for your size of pool when it's a quarter full. Stir around with a brush for a good bit and keep an eye on the chlorine levels throughout the day. Use common sense to add as necessary after that.

Truth be told, I'd probably just wait for the pool to fill up, first. That's actually exactly what I did when I acid washed this spring.

*CYA isn't really optional even though it's not technically required. Without it you will both have an almost impossible time keeping the chlorine levels right without constant monitoring and you will also spend more money on more chlorine than is necessary if you just have the right CYA level. My point before is that for a couple days or so it won't make a difference.

I didn't see your signature where it said 7,700 gallon. My 22,000 gallon took just over 48 hours to fill with one hose. If we have the same water pressure it should take you only 16 hours with just one hose. Probably 10-12 hours with two (less water pressure on the second one).

In that time frame you don't need to worry about adding anything until it's full. You can even start the fill after the sun goes down and it will be almost full before the sun comes up. No chance for algae to grow without sunlight! :)

You certainly can, though. It's just easier when the pump is running to stir things up for you.

hi vnktohtwoohseven :)
welcome to TFP!

Sounds like you have a good idea of what to and have a test kit. Man thats awesome!
Im sure you know, but I;ll just mention you will want to get the PH down with muriatic acid right away too.

good luck with your pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.