Battling Clarity - Questions

Jun 20, 2014
Houma, LA
Hello everyone. I have been reading everything on the site for the past week and it is a gold mine! I have been battling a clarity and possible algae issue since the summer started and had zero luck fixing the issue. Including several trips to the pool store. After finding the forum and learning about the pool chemistry I went ahead and ordered a Taylor K-2006 test kit that arrived last night. Below are my results from testing yesterday at 5pm. My water is slightly cloudy but I can see the bottom. I keep getting debris (fine dust) all over the bottom which requires vacuuming every single day it seems. I replaced the sand in my filter last weekend after getting no better results from the pool stores recommendations of raising alkalinity and PH (both were very low to start). I would welcome anyones opinion on my levels and recommended actions for pool clarity and to cut down on the constant vacuuming every day....which has been going on for at least two weeks. I dont mind vacuuming it just seems this must be an issue.

6/19/14 Results @ 5pm
CYA 50
PH 7.6
TA 130
FAC 9
CC 0.5

After these results were taken with the K-2005 I decided to add 100 oz of 8.25% Bleach to get my chlorine up to Shock level according to the best guess chlorine level chart. This morning I did not have time to test but the pool is still hazy. Thanks for any recommendations and all the shared info so far!

Welcome to TFP!

Algae can sometimes exhibit as constant fine dirt when you are just barely keeping it under control.

Try an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test The test measures chlorine consumption with no sunlight so you can find out if you have organics consuming chlorine.

If you fail the OCLT, you want to SLAM the pool. If you pass the OCLT, I'd suggest running your pump 24/7 to see if that improves the situation, then dialing down the run time to figure out how long you need to run it to keep the pool clear.

Re: Battling Clarity - OCLT results now included

Ok so yesterday I did quite a few Chlorine tests when I could. Here are the results and actions:
6/20/14 Noon
FC=14
CC=0.5
Added 46oz of 8.25% bleach to bring back above shock level.

6/20/14 5:30pm
FC=13
CC=0.5
waited till dusk (8:15pm) then added 46oz of 8.25% bleach to bring back to shock level.

6/20/14 9:00pm
FC=16
CC=0.5

6/21/14 3:45am (i went out and grabbed this sample in a sealed test tube but didnt do the test until 8am. Stored in the dark)
FC=12
CC=0

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions based on the above results. Keep Slamming?

Thanks

Ok I will get it up into the 20s. I had thought the minimum was 15 based on the best guess chlorine chart. I am going to use 16oz of Cal Hypo 65% since I am low on bleach this morning.

A question on the testing. I am doing the 10ml sample. When I add the DPD powder must I use the 2 scoops as instructions say even if my sample turns vivid pink after the first scoop. Is it ok to continue the test with only one scoop of DPD and get the same accuracy/results?

Thanks

Please use the Chlorine/CYA chart, it is slightly more up to date.
Cal-hypo has a side effect of adding calcium hardness (CH) - you don't need CH with AG pool but you can have too much - it leads to scaling; do you have a CH reading?

With the FAS-DPD test, as long as you have a few crystals undissolved, it's considered ok. Using too little causes inaccuracy. See also Extended test kit directions, post #4.

We need a full set to try and "see" what's going on :testresults:

The thing about SLAM is to keep it at the SLAM level. Not to let it drop and bring it back up. That was my mistake when I did mine. It's not always possible to do as life can get in the way but whenever possible you want to stay at or a little above that 20ppm and try to catch it before it gets to 16 or less. The more you manage it now the less time it will take, the sooner it will need to be tested less often and you'll burn up the organics and the less bleach $$$ you will use in the long run :lovetfp:

Thank you everyone for the testing advice on the DPD powder. My CH as tested last night is 250, which should be ok. I am getting away from the pool store chemicals and going to the BBB from now on, but was just short of bleach this morning so went with the 16oz of Cal Hypo. I actually probably only have another 16oz of the stuff left. Most recent test:

6/21/14 Noon
FC = 17
CC = 0

Going to stup it back up above 20 with some 8.25% bleach. Water is looking much clearer though!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.