Water loss, air bubbles, total newbies at pool care, please help :)

Jun 20, 2014
Elmira, NY
I'm sure bits and pieces relative to my pool problem are posted already, but my OH and I are completely new at this and don't want to make things worse by trial and error.

In brief, our 25k gallon pool was opened for the first time in about 4-5 years this year. The house we bought sat empty for a while, we moved in too late last year to mess with the pool, so we paid a guy to open it this year as it was a green lagoon. Winterization looked hit or miss. The returns were plugged and the gizmo was in the skimmer. They had merely cut the hoses leading to the pump and filter. The sand filter was shot but the pump was put into the garage and is fine (it's a Hayward Super Pump--no idea about age). We got a new DE filter (another Hayward, 65 gal/hour capacity).

Pool guy got everything up and running and cleared all the green. The only thing I was uncertain about was that he said that there are two returns--one in the shallow end by the skimmer, and one down in the deep end. He said we don't need both of them, but I would like to get them both going for circulation. There's only one outlet on the filter, so my first question is, do we just put a pvc t-junction there and then connect a hose to each of the returns?

Now, my real pressing question: About 3 nights ago, we woke up to find the hose leading from the pump to the filter had popped off on the filter side. Water had run out nearly down to the bottom of the skimmer, so some air was certainly being sucked in. Re-attached the hose, filled the pump basket to the top, topped the pool back up. Noticed that pressure coming out of the return was much harder than it had been (which seemed a very good thing, as the water in the pool was actually moving), but bubbles were periodically coming out.

Next night, very hard rain storm, hose popped off again, water was lost, not nearly down as far. Reattached hose so tightly it made my hand hurt :p, tightened all the other hoses for good measure. Topped up the pool water, added some DE to the filter (still learning what to do with that too!), vacuumed (we have a Pool Blaster, so it doesn't use the pump). Same pattern with the bubbles, except I noticed that it kind of cycles---water will rush to the skimmer, and bubbles will come out the return, then the pressure seems to let off a little). Let the pump run a little longer just to filter out what had been stirred up by the vacuum, then shut it off before bedtime. Woke up this morning to find pool had lost water again--about 1/2", to the bottom of the skimmer.

So, water is being lost with or without the pump running. No leakage from any of the hose hook-ups. It seems such a coincidence that something underground would have cracked right when the hose popped off, as the problem only started when that happened. We're so inexperienced we're just :scratch:, although OH, being an instrument lab tech, suspects there's air in the system that needs flushing out.

Any ideas about how to proceed? Many many humble thanks in advance

PS---just joined a few pool forums, so if you're members of each and see the same post, I apologize, but I'm just looking for more exposure to clear up this issue quickly---I can't imagine what our water bill is going to be!

Just noticed that when I lift the basket out of the skimmer, the plastic base around the pipe that heads out to the pump (and underground) seems to have a crack in it. I can stick a screwdriver in it and lift it. I'm wondering if that could possibly be the source of the leak--when there's pressure from the pump pulling, perhaps it opens more fully? I added some water directly into the skimmer about 2 hours ago and it has drained out. Is it possible that a crack like that could be draining the pool down about 2-3" overnight?

Last edited:
If you hve any food dye, you can squirt a few drops by the crack. If that crack is leaking, then the food dye will get sucked into the crack.

If the skimmer is cracked and leaking like you think, there are epoxy and putty products that can fix it and work fine.

if you could post some pics of the pool equipment and those hoses that keep popping off, we might be able to help you and how to route the plumbing to get both returns working

Best way to post pics.
upload your pics to photobucket
then, click on the pick you want to post and make it full size
Over at the right side of the pic is some code
Click on the IMG code and it will automatically copy it
come back here a paste it into your message.

hope this helps,

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add,
about the bubbles, it does sound like there is air in the system, which is expected since the hose blew off a couple of times.
Best way to get rid of it is by using the air relase valve on top of your filter.

Start the pump and let it run, then open the release on top of the filter If there is air in there it will blow out. Keep the valve open until nothing but a steady stream of water comes out, then close the valve.

Very well could be also, that the crack may be contributing to air in the line.

Welcome to the forum !!

Also helpful if you go to "settings" and add your pool and equipment information. Keeps from having to go back to the first post all the time. If not for this thread maybe the next ;)
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post
Please put the following information in your signature.

The size of your pool in gallons
If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the size, model number or flow rate of the filter.
If you know, please tell us the size pump in HP. Also mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

Hopefully I've successfully added a signature now :) I'll finish the info tomorrow in the daylight.
Also will try to take some pictures. We're going to find some JB Water Weld tomorrow and give that a try. And thanks for the info on releasing air from the filter. Like I said, we're total noobs and didn't know what to do. The guy who came and opened the pool really didn't explain ongoing care and use well, although he did a fantastic job of cleaning the black lagoon up.

TFP is kind of like AA, you need to take it one step at a time. Soon you'll be the guy doing the fantastic job of keeping the pool clean and never having to look at a black lagoon again :lovetfp:

Signature looks great :goodjob:, now we need pictures !!

Just an update. Tried dripping some red food coloring inside the skimmer. It shot down the crack! So, I got some JB Water Weld and plugged up the crack and then some. There was a hairline crack across from the big one and, now that I know what the putty looks like, I see that someone in the past had used some putty in there as well. I packed a bunch of putty all around the pipe area in the skimmer (there's no-doubt a term for that, but I don't know it). Let it cure 2 hours. Water level stayed right where I left it, so it fixed the leak. Turned on the pump and filter, and that all worked--blew the air bubbles out and now it's working better than ever. I do suspect we have to replace the skimmer in the not so distant future, but the problem is solved for now.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have more questions, but I'm going to start new threads for each.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.