Crack in Bond Beam - replaster for time being

hendo926

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Berwyn, PA
Hi,

I have an approx. 18" x 3/4" crack in my bond beam right between the two rows of tile at the water line. There seems to be only one company who does this kind of repair work in my area (Phila., PA) and they are very busy after this past Winter. Is it OK to break up the loose mortar and smooth fresh plaster over the crack (not replace tiles) for the time being for aesthetics? Are the tiles at the waterline only to prevent a visible line in what would be white plaster? The company is months out for scheduling and their price definitely reflects their backlog.

Thank You.

It kind of depends on the stability of the bond beam. If the crack is actively moving no repair will last long. If the crack is stable, the patch you propose should be fine for some time.

Tile is primarily about hiding the water line mark, but the tiles are also part of the waterproofing of the surface. The plaster has to seal to the edges of any remaining tiles and cover the whole area of any removed tiles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.