Do I need to buy these at the Pool Store?

Kabbak,

Looks like I got the Excel for a few bucks more:

I'm in California, San Francisco area, and it does not snow here, either.

This April 2013, I also found Scotwood's Excel deicer sold at a distributor called Fastenal:

http://www.fastenal.com

No shipping if delivered to the store! I was able to find 50# of Excel (94-97% pure CaCl) for $35 which with tax is less than $1/pound.

This forum is great, thanks to all the folks willing to share info!

J20832 said:
applgrl said:
One note of caution: the heat of reaction when added to water is quite intense---don't mix it in a 5 gallon bucket or you might melt it. I have a gunite pool, so I just spread it around the perimeter, but if you have a vinyl liner or fibreglass you may want to experiment so that you don't melt holes into your pool.

You shouldn't need to ever add calcium to a vinyl lined pool.

And why is that? I live in Ohio and seem to constantly be low on my calcium hardness PPM? I have IG 27.5k vinyl liner pool.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
And why is that? I live in Ohio and seem to constantly be low on my calcium hardness PPM? I have IG 27.5k vinyl liner pool.
Low CH is not an important parameter in a vinyl pool. CH above 400 can be a concern in ALL pools, but not low CH with a vinyl pool.

jevincent said:
I live in Ohio and seem to constantly be low on my calcium hardness PPM? I have IG 27.5k vinyl liner pool.
Vinyl-lined pools really do not need calcium, unlike plaster and to a lesser extent fiberglass. Over time, water with low calcium levels will tend to dissolve calcium out of plaster, pebble, tile, stone, and concrete. Calcium helps fiberglass pools resist staining and cobalt spotting.

duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. :wave:
Low CH is not an important parameter in a vinyl pool. CH above 400 can be a concern in ALL pools, but not low CH with a vinyl pool.

Thanks for the welcome.

What about Pool steps, skimmers, etc. being affected? My pool is about 16 years old (97) and is in wonderful condition, but about 4 years ago I noticed my steps were showing blisters. We've been careful not to pop the blisters, but they continue to increase in number, and the only chemical that is consistently off is the CH. The cost of replacing steps is ridiculous due to the need to break up footers, etc., so I'm really antsy about just disregarding the CH which they claim is acidic when low ...

You shouldn't need to ever add calcium to a vinyl lined pool.
Hi! I am new to the forum and we have a 24ft above ground vinyl liner pool. After getting some rain earlier this week I did the chem test and the results showed a ppm hardness level of 50 while ideal should be 250-450. I had some driveway heat in the garage and started adding some daily. I was researching this thread to see if 1. I needed to consider another substance or 2. I should be more liberal in the application of the driveway heat. Then I saw the quote and wondered if I could get an explanation why as to you shoudn't need to add calcium. I read data on what the consequences of low ppm would do and it reportedly states it is harder on pool equipment, i.e. pumps. Ironically our pump just went out yesterday! The two are probably not related but still I would love to no if I should just not worry about the ppm or what. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.