BBQ Guru and Stoker discussion

lovingHDTV

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2007
Round Rock, TX
[Edit by SeanB - This topic was split from another thread]

cruzmisl said:
Sean, sounds delicious. I've been cooking on Kamado style cookers for years and they can't be beat. The learning curve is steep so you should be an expert in no time. I have a Komodo and you can come over to the forum anytime you want. It's a great resource for this style cooker and a great group of people. Everyone is welcome regardless of where you purchased your cooker from.

I don't want to boast but I'm a pork butt MASTER! :) I too used to put my butts on at midnight, let them cook through the night and get up every hour or two to make sure my temp was OK. What a HYOOGE PITA. I went and bought a BBQ Guru and now I sleep like a baby with no worries about temps. They make an adapter for your cooker.

http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=235

Worth EVERY solitary cent!

Here is a link to the forum,

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/

I use the BBQ Guru also, and absolutely love it!

Re: Used the Grill Dome - my best brisket ever!

I've looked at those. It's on my wish list. Actually though, I'm getting better at the temp control. On the pork butt, I started it in the morning, early, and didn't touch a thing all day once I had the temp set. I just used my new wireless thermometer to keep an eye on things from inside the house.

I've seen a competitor to the guru called "The Stoker." I'd have to look it up, but it seems like there were a couple advantages, but both were raved about.

cruzmisl said:
Sean, sounds delicious. I've been cooking on Kamado style cookers for years and they can't be beat. The learning curve is steep so you should be an expert in no time. I have a Komodo and you can come over to the forum anytime you want. It's a great resource for this style cooker and a great group of people. Everyone is welcome regardless of where you purchased your cooker from.

I don't want to boast but I'm a pork butt MASTER! :) I too used to put my butts on at midnight, let them cook through the night and get up every hour or two to make sure my temp was OK. What a HYOOGE PITA. I went and bought a BBQ Guru and now I sleep like a baby with no worries about temps. They make an adapter for your cooker.

http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=235

Worth EVERY solitary cent!

Here is a link to the forum,

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/

The Stoker works on the same principle as the BBQ Guru and allows you to hook it up to a network to check your cooks from work on the web. Thats cool but too high tech for me.

As you know temp control is easy with these style cookers but it just offers extra peice of mind. On my Guru there is a ramp mode meaning th ecloser the meat comes to target temp the lower the cooker temp gets. This way you never overcook the meat. Check them both out, both worthwhile tools to add to your arsenal.

I have the Stoker and have been using it for a litle more than a year, I love it. Both the Guru and the Stoker have very similar features, Rock (john for Stoker) has the ability to add an ethernet contection with a wireless router and control from the lap top. You can also find the Ramp mode if you look, but Fred of Guru has a patent on that, so it is a DIY type of fix for the Stoker.

Me personally, I just use it like it is out of the box, but I get plenty of Sleep at the Comps with my Stump's Smoker and my Stoker. Another cool thing is that the controler for the stoker can control multiple cookers at the same time. You buy additional fans and probes and an extender and plug it right into the same unit. I know personal that Vince of Rhythm & Que, uses on stoker to control 4 WSM's (With meat Temp probes) at one time. He finally took the plunge and bought the stoker after watching mine at the Comp in Buckeye AZ.

The one big thing the Stoker is lacking is great Customer service. John is a one man show, and it is a little appearant. I have heard real good things about Fred's Service and his product. They both work great and they are a tool for the cook to use. I too can control all my cookers without them, but why. Manual window on the car work too, But I like Power windows. :-D

The tools are no replacement for skill

I can't tell from the pictures on the guru site. On the temp control, does it show you current temp as well as your set point?

There are not too far apart on price. Anyone used both? Aside from the internet control how are each on ease of use and durability?

I'm going to split these posts to a new thread.

It does show the current temp. Actually it only shows the current temp of the pit or food. You really only set the pit/food temp and from there it gives realtime temp readings. I love my Digi Q II and had a Competitor before that was also really good. My brother in law has a Stoker and he has complained about customer service. He's been waiting for a part for over 3 weeks.

check here for a comparison between the two,

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews.htm

Here's a pic of my set up,

guru1.jpg

You can see here I use my battery for power and the fan is at the lower right hand corner of the cooker, the Digi Q mounted on the left and the temp probes are routed through an access hole in my cooker.

guru.jpg

Then I ate,

ribs.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.