Should I Raise CYA Before SLAMing?

zodiac

May 25, 2013
Houston, TX
My Intex 18'x52" ultra frame sat with a cover on it all winter. Recently I pulled the cover off, drained most of the water to hard plumb it, vacuumed it, and then refilled it. The water is now a milky green color. I just had the water tested at everyone's favorite pool store and due to how much was drained, the CYA reading came back as zero. Now obviously due to the nastiness of the water I would like to SLAM it. I'm wondering if I should fix the CYA first, or just start dumping bleach in it. I have an Intex SWG that has yet to be tested and is currently off. My readings are as follows:

FC:0
CH:110
Salt:2000
CYA:0
TA:150
pH:7.8

Thanks

You could get the TF-50 test kit @ http://tftestkits.net/TF-50-Test-Kit-p55.html
But SLAMing your pool, you'll go through re-agents a lot faster, and this may not be enough. But If you're a miser with it, you'll get through. ;)
IE. Test with a 5ml sample and 1ppm per drop equivalency when at shock levels, vs. 0.5ppm drop equivalency with the 10ml sample. So it'll use less titrating reagent, and less DPD powder. But you should test with the 10ml sample otherwise.
Also, only testing CYA 1x when you 1st start,
giving the powder you add, 1 full week to register, before you waste one of your 3 CYA tests on it.

You'll need to already have a good reliable pH+OTO test block, a good and cheap one is the Taylor manufactured one that Walmart carries under the HTH brand for about $7.50. Same one Dave sells, just minus the nice opaque blue, shatter and UV resistant box. But gets the job done. :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Well the pipe union going to the filter just blew (the pressure was very low?) and soaked the pump. I think I'm done for the day.... Time to let things dry! Also pre-blowout thanks for the help guys! Picked up a decent test kit and I was well on my way haha

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.