New To TFP

Jun 19, 2014
VT
I am a fairly new pool owner bought home last year and never owned a pool before. I stumbled my was through the summer luckily only having one issue with algae. I was doing what everyone told me to throw a 3" puck in the skimmer and shock once a week and everything will be good. I had no idea the relationship between FC/CYA until I came across this site this year. I now know why my pool turned green. Well all that being said I have some test results from tonight and would like your thoughts on my numbers. Thanks!

FC=5.4
CC=0.2
PH=7.8
TA=130
CH=120
CYA=50
WATER TEMP 74

If it's mean green or getting there you need to SLAM. Your SLAM level is 20. Bring it up and keep it there until you pass the OCLT.

Hi! I'm looking for some advice when it comes to chlorinating when going on vacation. I do not have an auto chlorinator and throwing pucks in the skimmer is going to drive my CYA up. I would rather not come home to a green lagoon. Thanks for any suggestions and advice!

Hi! I'm looking for some advice when it comes to chlorinating when going on vacation. I do not have an auto chlorinator and throwing pucks in the skimmer is going to drive my CYA up. I would rather not come home to a green lagoon. Thanks for any suggestions and advice!

How much would the pucks increase the CYA? Since you have a sand filter you could do some extra backwashing, over time, to lower the CYA when you get back. The best thing would be to have someone monitor/dose the pool for you. Do a search for 'vacation' and you will find lots of ideas :wink:

Welcome to the forum!

As a rough estimate, you can figure about 9 PPM Cya added for every 10 PPM of FC. Pretty close to even, so you can see why it adds up so quick. You can control your Cya on the low end if you'll have a need to do this pretty often. Or, have someone come by and add Bleach if that's possible. Either way, it's manageable, and Butterfly gives you good advice above.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How long of vacation?

Do you have a cover?

By using a opaque cover and raising the FC to shock level you might be able to get away for a week.

You might want to use 10ml of water when testing the FC. You will not use as much powder and you don't need .2 accuracy. Multiply the drops by .5 when using 10ml.

Vacation is 2 weeks don't have an opaque cover. I think I have someone that can add bleach. This forum is great and thanks for the advice. I do have another question.

Suds are forming when the kiddos are splashing around. I used an algaecide polyquat 60 when opening. The pool store said could be from the algaecide or low hardness (CH 120). Any thoughts as to what might be causing this and is it safe to swim? Thanks again!

Hello I thought I would post my recent test results and what I did to adjust to make sure I am on the right track. I use the pool math calculator and it makes this very easy. Thanks!
FC=3.5 added 25oz of 12.5% FC=6
CC=0.0
pH=8.0 added 22oz of dry acid pH=7.4
TA=120
CH=120
CYA=50
WATER TEMP 75

Hello I thought I would post my recent test results and what I did to adjust to make sure I am on the right track. I use the pool math calculator and it makes this very easy. Thanks!
FC=3.5 added 25oz of 12.5% FC=6
CC=0.0
pH=8.0 added 22oz of dry acid pH=7.4
TA=120
CH=120
CYA=50
WATER TEMP 75
How does the water look?

I suggest you increase FC target to 8. So keep FC between 4 and 8, and never below 4 :smile:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.