Pump/filter for new pool...a little help please?!

May 26, 2013
Tennessee
We plan to purchase a new above ground pool in the future. (Just have to make do with the Intex for now.) But I have read and re-read and etc., etc...Hydraulics 101 til I believe I will go cross-eyed. My question is this...if we are looking at getting a 24x54 pool, estimated to hold around 18,350 gallons, then will a 1 HP, 2 or variable speed pump be fine? Also, we would like to go cartridge or DE. With a SWG, maybe Aquatrol. What size filter should I be looking for? And would some of the combo pump/filters made by Pentair or Hayward work for the pool size we are looking at? And do I have to look at above ground filters only? Any help would be greatly appreciated since I am having a hard time figuring what I need.

Get a 1HP 2 speed pump and buy the biggest filter you can afford. The bigger the better.

:???::???:I have found a 72 square ft DE filter but I can't afford $1000 for the filter alone! Most sites only give me an effective filtration area (in square feet) and a flow rate (gpm). So I am wondering if say, for example, says an EFA of 15 square ft, and flow rate of 60 gpm is big enough. Or do I need to find way bigger than that?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.