High PH after PEbble Tec Repairs

Jun 19, 2014
Glendale, Az
Hi Everyone. Great forum here! As I have been lurking (and learning) a lot.

Thought I would finally post a question as I am struggling on my own with this one.

This past winter we developed a small leak in our pool. In February we had a professional leak test performed and was informed the leaks were caused from the pebble tec that had cracked at the corners of two of the steps.

The leak test company recommended a pool re-modeler. Based on their recommendation and the fact the company is licensed and bonded, I hired them to do the repairs. Unfortunately this did not go smoothly at all. The pool was drained entirely and the one day quoted turned into 3. Which then turned into 5 after the pool was refilled and the initial pebble tec repairs de-laminated immediately upon refill. The pool was drained again and repairs done over. This time under the watchful eye of the owner of the company.

During the process, I noticed they washed all of the mortar/pebble tec and associated dyes down the pool drain while doing the repairs (both times). Not sure if this is proper practice or not, but I thought it odd at the time. The company also installed an in wall suction line and in ground leaf canister for my pool cleaner at this time as well.

Now my issue and thus question: Since refilling the pool. The PH will not stay acceptable. Also within 2 weeks after refill the TA shot up to 220. I have been lowering PH with MA and have had as low as 7.2. However, within a week or so PH climbs back up. I have let it go on its own to as high as 8.3 (pool store tests as mine only goes to 8.0) to see if it will stop at some point. It was still climbing. About 2 weeks ago scaling set in which I have never seen before. TA is falling constantly during this and is currently at 100. Tested PH again today (Taylor K-2006) and has gone from 7.8 to 8.0 since last Saturday. TA still at 100. I am wondering if all of the morter/pebble tec and dyes ran through the drain during repairs may be causing this?? Also, not sure where to go from here as TA is near bottom of acceptable range now?

Any help or input would be appreciated. Local pool store is clueless. (suprise)
Thanks!

Any new plaster/pebble or whatnot will create a high pH for an undetermined amount of time, usually up to a year. It is normal. Keep adding MA and don't let it get above 8.0.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.