Couple Quick Newbie ???'s

Jun 27, 2008
Georgia
Hi guys and gals. We finally got our pool installed, filled and up and running. I just have a couple questions. I searched, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

- Can pool floats/toys/rafts be left in the pool 24/7, or do they needed to be removed after we get out of the pool?

- I'm in the process of adding CYA, using the stocking over the return method and my CYA dissolved within hours of me putting it in, both times I have added it. From what I read here, it usually takes about 5 days or so to fully dissolve. Is this normal or is something not right? Granted, it was only 36oz at first, followed up with 24oz the second time. I used 2 different stockings and neither had any tears or holes in it.

- Since all of the CYA is dissolved and gone, can I test for it now, or should I still wait a few days?

- Our pool builder left us a nice, big pile of dirt, since our site area was on a mild slope. They didn't backfill at all, so we are left doing it. We have a Doughboy Copper Canyon 16' x 24' AGP. Are we alright to backfill this pool some? It will be alittle less than 1/2 of the pool. The pool is recessed about 1 1/2 ft into the high side, so that is the deepest part and then gets shallower as you start to move around the pool to the low side. Are we OK to backfill 1 1/2 ft?

Thanks for all the help and support.

Mitch

Any toy large enough to stay out of the skimmer(s) can be left in the pool if you want.

CYA tends to break into very fine grains quickly, but it usually doesn't fully dissolve for several days. I would wait a full week from when you added CYA most recently before testing CYA again.

You can backfill the pool, but you want to make sure you have good drainage under there. It is probably worth putting in a drainage pipe wrapped in landscaping cloth and covered with gravel before topping it off with dirt.

Maveri9720 said:
Hi guys and gals. We finally got our pool installed, filled and up and running. I just have a couple questions. I searched, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

- Can pool floats/toys/rafts be left in the pool 24/7, or do they needed to be removed after we get out of the pool?

Mitch

If you leave pool toys in children are tempted to reach for them and fall in. If you have children around I would not recommend it. Safety First.

I've noticed the pool "noodles" seem to deteriorate after a time, bits begin to clog the filter. As a habit I make the kids remove everything when we're done, as I just don't think I should have to.... :mrgreen:

Ditto the CYA info, Can't help on the backfill, sorry!

Thanks for the help everyone. We don't have any kids, so no issues there regarding children getting into the pool unsupervised.

The only things we have in there a 3 inflatable lounges and a floating basketball hoop. So there isn't anything to breakdown and everything is way bigger than the skimmer.

So far, everything has been great!

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.