New above ground pool question

Jan 21, 2014
Bartlesville, OK
Hi everyone
We will be putting our above ground intex 18 by 48 ultra pool up on Saturday. How soon do we need to start putting the chemicals in and checking on them? Should we always keep the chlorine floater filled with the hockey pucks in also?
Thanks
Mike

Hi
I don't have the test kit yet. I figured it give me something to do while waiting for the pool to fill. I have read thru the school. My reason for asking the question is if the pool takes a day and a half to fill do I need to start adding chemical before it's full of water? Does this make sense? Also do I always want to keep the chlorine floater in the pool too?
Thanks
Mike

We usually recommend you NEVER keep a floater in the pool because exclusive use of trichlor tablets is not sustainable plan. See the last link I posted before.

You can use them to start, but you need to keep track of your CYA level and switch to liquid when the CYA gets into range.

I would pour a little bleach in the pool while it is filling.
Time to start to learn to use PoolMath as well.

If you have a lot of the "pucks" you're just dying to use, I suggest you save a few for when you go on vacation and give the rest to a not-so-good friend ;-) Or see if you can refund them for a few pounds of dichlor granules that will add both chlorine and CYA to begin with, then start looking for all the liquid bleach/chlorine deals you can find. And get one of the recommended test kits. Good luck.

Thanks. I have read thru it again and have not seen anything about the floating chloride.
Mike

As best as my research suggested, the 3" tabs add 6 ppm CYA each. I am switching to TFPC method this weekend. I used tabs and bagged shock and test strips to start my pool up and ended up with CYA of 135! 36 of that was from 3" tabs. Another 27 was from bags of shock. So I would say to stay away from either and just do it right the first time. I sure wish I would have...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.