New to the site and trying to follow your lead. Question on pool side scale or pits?

Jun 19, 2014
Hewitt, TX
I have lived with this pool for a year. No real issues other than I have some buildup on some of the tiles and rocks. My chlorine was really high all winter. I know why now, high CYA. Anyways I bought a new test kit and had the following results.

FC-9
CC- .5
TA- 180
CH-600
CYA- 100
Borates- 50

I went ahead and drained about 40% of my pool and have refilled. I haven't been able to recheck readings yet but when my pool was down I noticed in areas the painted plaster was "white". When I looked closer it either is some type of white buildup or the plaster is pitting and the color is changing. I have attached some photos. The first is "normal" or 3/4 of the pool and the others are the rest.

6-19-2014 2-17-09 PM.jpg
6-19-2014 2-16-44 PM.jpg
6-19-2014 2-16-24 PM.jpg

It actually looks like both. In the grout I can see a buildup, but on the wall it didn't look the same. This is a picture underwater around the bottom. I don't know if chemicals did this or not and I can't remember if it was like this when I moved in last year.

6-19-2014 2-32-33 PM.jpg

With a CH of 600ppm, and if the pH was allowed to stay too high (you did not post this), I would suspect calcium scaling.

Does the lighter stuff on the bottom feel rough?

The pH was 7.5, but last year it had stayed in the high 7 and low 8's. I didn't realize that the overflow and waterfall was making the pH raise and I had hardly any TA at time too. Since reading the info on here a few months ago I have been able to maintain pH and trying to maintain the cl and cya ratio. The bottom doesn't feel rough and in the spa it is the same around the seating area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.