Polaris in-line filter clogging

Jun 19, 2014
Inman, SC
I've been having trouble with the in-line filter clogging severely everyday. When clogged, the pool sweep will not operate and the sand filter pressure gauge jumps up about 10 PSI. This morning I cleaned the in-line filter and once I turned the pump on, tons of water pressure came shooting out of the pressure relief valve by the quick disconnect on the hose and the pool sweep was running like crazy (I wasn't sure if this was good for the system?). The sand filter gauge dropped 10 PSI after I cleared the polaris filter. Can anyone help as to why my polaris in-line filter is getting clogged so severely and so often? I'm a newbie so I'm not sure how the water is filtered before it goes to the pool sweep hose. (BTW we do not have a booster pump).

Variations of this question appear on the forum quite often. The answer is most often pretty simple......you are filtering debris from your pool and the debris clogs up tyhe system.

That it clogs it up so quickly can be that the pool has a lot of debris (often invisible) or the filtration equipment is too small. It is frequently a combination of those two, also.

So, if your water is clear and this is happening, you can just about bet you have a water chemistry issue that is allowing invisible algae to clog your filtration. Every diagnosis we do with water chemistry has to start with a complete set of test results from your own good testing. Can you post those?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.