Automation Panel Upgrade Question.

Derick

Platinum Supporter
Jun 19, 2014
Merrick, NY
Hello everyone.

First time pool owner with a few questions about automation.

Below is my current setup:

22K gls vinyl IG
Hayward 3620 DE Filter
Hayward Superpump VS
Hayward HeatPro 140KBTU Heat Pump
Hayward Tigershark QC
Polaris Booster Pump / Pressure Side Cleaner / 1 Jet (Not being used)
Intermatic Mechanical Timer Panel
2 Return Jets; 2 Skimmers & 1 Main Drain

I want to add an automation control/load center to control these and possibly add a SWG. Would love to be able to control everything from Iphone/Ipad, but a dedicated wireless controller is not out of the question. My max budget at this time is $2500, maybe $3K.

I was thinking of getting an Intermatic Multi-Wave Control System PE34065RC and SWG, seems to be the lowest cost option at the moment or a Hayward Aqua Logic PS-4 / Aqua Plus Unit?
Are there any product configurators online for any of these systems? Like anyone would, I am trying to get the best that I can with my budget. Any help, suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

Your pool is fairly simple, there isn't a whole lot for an automation system to control. Typically you would just have a timer for the pump and a timer for the booster pump and leave it at that. What specific things are you interested in doing with the automation system?

Thank you for the quick response.

Basically looking to make things easier for my wife to manage the pool. She has the luxury of staying at home with the kids. So I let her deal with the pool. At the moment everything runs of 1 mechanical timer clock, pumps. lights, etc. Heater is on its own separate disconnect. The intermatic panel is beat to **** and basically on its way out. The wife hates going outside to fiddle with the timer and turn things on/off and switch valves and what not. And since we would probably have to spend $600-800 replacing the mechanical clock/panel, we figured why not just upgraded the whole thing and make our lives easier.

We would love to able to do the following remotely (either thru dedicated controller or internet/ios/android compatible):
Turn on/off the pumps, lights (2 in the pool, and 3 landscape)
Control the main filter valve and the skimmer/main drain valve (not a total must)
Is there a way for the system to remotely display pressure gauge readings?
Install a SWG that would integrate well
and we were looking into the chemical automation systems, like the hayward sense and dispense, but not sure which is the best way to go on this..
We want to make the pool as maintenance free as possible.

I do not understand why you would need to turn any valves.
I have never heard of pressure readings being monitored.
There is no such thing as a maintenance free pool ... you still should be testing and adjusting every couple days.

BTW, realize that you VS pump will not integrate well into any automation system. You could turn it on and off, but not adjust any speeds.

Any automation system will allow you to turn on/off the pumps and lights, though only the fancier ones allow Internet remote control.

No automation system will allow you to control the main valve. Likewise nothing designed for homeowners, other than a web cam, will remotely display a pressure reading.

I strongly recommend against using ORP based chemical automation, it tends to make the pool less reliable and less stable, while increasing costs significantly.

Thank you for all the suggestions, you fellows make a lot of sense. I might be over complicating things for no good reason.

So, since we are going to upgrade the load center. I think the best for us would be the Intermatic PE34065RC, since its low cost enough and will give us the features that we want and a Hayward Aquarite/Swimpure+ unit. Another option would be to go with the Hayward Aquaplus with the 40K TCell SWG, which I guess would be a cleaner install. Any suggestions on these units?

I don't know the Intermatic, but I have the Hayward Prologic P4 which is identical to the Aquaplus so can answer any questions. The reasons I got this system, was that I have a simple pool, I already had a T-15 SWG cell, and wanted solar valve control and to be able to switch the speeds on my 2-speed pump for solar. I do not see the need for wireless control because I have 2 functioning legs, but it can be added to the system if desired.

It only has 4 relays, one will be used for the pump, one for the pool lights (I actually control mine with a switch and not the Prologic), leaving you 2 more for landscape lighting.

I have considered the sense and dispense, but I would not use the ORP function so seems like a waste of money to buy that capability. I am still thinking about adding a separate acid injection system for the pH, whether it would just be time based or sensor based is undecided.

Jason, thanks for the info.

Just looked up the Prologic units and its about the same cost for the AquaPlus. I found it for $1100 with the 40K TCell. I was not even considering these as I though they would go for $2K. I think this unit would serve us well as we are planning to add a hot tub to the pool next year. Plus the wireless capabilities are great because of where the control panel will be mounted; awkward, limited outdoor space by pool equipment. Can these panels be mounted outdoors in the northeast? Or should it be mounted inside a cabinet? How is it to program? Any feedback/opinions you could provide on the system would be greatly appreciated.

Also, do you find it easier to maintain your pool with SWG and is the water feel better than with chlorine? We test the pool chemistry every other day to make sure levels are good. Again, thanks for you thoughts.

The ProLogic P4 + cell is EXACTLY the same as the AquaPlus (which includes the cell) ... maybe a different sticker. So get which ever you can find for the best price (I would expect the costs to be similar).

I like the convenience of the SWG, but they do require watching the pH more than when using bleach. You could get the "feel" by adding salt to the pool even without the SWG.

Pretty sure they are designed to be mounted out in the elements, although some protection would not hurt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.