fresh fill will be complete 6/25 - will test to get initial reading but then what???

Jun 29, 2013
Bethlehem, pa
HI everyone.. after giving my pool some special attention this past month, I'm ready to fill it...

It should take about 50 hours to fill (which will start on Monday).

Last year I depended on the store to address my initial readings and make adjustments accordingly.

This year, I know better. I'm familiar with what needs to be done, how, and why..

But I'm not too sure what can be done first, at the same time, etc.? Can I make the proper adjustments for FC & lower PH in the same day? or vice versa?

Is there a general process or procedure recommended when attempting to reach the desired level?

Congratulation on taking control.

Generally speaking 30 minutes between chemical additions (pump running, pour in front of a return.)

CYA is the outlier - you can add anything else while you are adding CYA (it takes some time to dissolve).

Put 50% of the CYA you anticipate needing in a sock in front of the skimmer
Test the pH
Adjust the pH
wait 30
test to confirm your target was achieved

Dose with CL using your targeted CYA level to determine your first dose
wait 30
test to confirm (once you get the hang of it there is no need to test to confirm, this is mostly so you get the hang of the tests and helps to confirm pool volume)

rinse and repeat daily for pH and CL.

Thanks Casey - I have visited those links and familiarized myself with them.

I guess I could have been more specific. I know what I need to maintain the levels BUT do I give each chemical level it's own day of attention? OR I can make all the adjustments on the same day?

Last year I depended on the pool store, they sold me hundreds of dollars worth of chemicals.... The instructions were to add X today, Y tomorrow, and Z the day after...

Do I have to maintain that same approach or can I add bleach, and other items (depending on the levels) in the same day?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.