Ph and TA high

Sep 10, 2013
Lowell, indiana
Ph-8.2
Fc-4.5
Cc-0
TA-150
Cya-25

My ph and TA seem high should I adjust? What effect do these readings have on my water? I feel like I could be adding a little less chlorine too.. Seems like I add a lot. We are in Chicago area... Full sun all day. No trees.

I do want to say that since we went TFPC our water is beautiful.. I can look in it on a still day and it is so clear you could wonder if there was even water in it! I'm crazy about it and I'm so proud of it! 5 min maintenence a day and it's perfectAnyways... I have to have a pool party this weekend and I'm nervous about the crowd messing it up.. Any advice on that? Should I raise the fc before the party or slam after?

The TA will come down over time as you adjust the pH. Right now, that pH will cause eye irritation, so lower it. Aim for 7.2. It might be higher than 8.2 now, since that's as high as the tester reads, so don't be alarmed if it doesn't drop all the way to 7.2 after you dose it.

Your high FC consumption is probably due to low CYA. Raise it up to 40 or so.

For the party, make sure the pH is at the low end of safe since all the splashing and high TA will tend to drive it up, and add an extra 2 or 3 ppm FC before the party starts, and again after it's over, and let the filter run. There shouldn't be any reason to SLAM, just replace the FC a load of swimmers will deplete.

T.y! I'll do that! So does the ph just tend to naturally rise from use? Is that's
What's going on? And do you suggest I raise my cya a bit. I'm scared to try after having a 180 last year. Would raising it cause me to use less bleach daily at this point? Or have to add more because of the higher cya?

T.y! I'll do that! So does the ph just tend to naturally rise from use? Is that's
What's going on? And do you suggest I raise my cya a bit. I'm scared to try after having a 180 last year. Would raising it cause me to use less bleach daily at this point? Or have to add more because of the higher cya?
High alkalinity tends to push the pH up. So does aeration, which you get with a lot of kids splashing. When you add acid to lower pH, you also lower TA a little bit, so as time goes by, you need less and less acid each time and it goes longer between additions. You're just not there yet.

Raising the CYA will lower the amount of FC lost to the sun. You'll have to maintain a higher minimum FC level, but you'll lose less each day. So instead of going from, say, 5 to 2 every day, you'll go from 7 to 5 every day. You'll need some extra bleach to get up to the higher target, but after the CYA dissolves the daily consumption will go down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.