Converting from Bacquacil to Chlorine-Kind of

Jul 19, 2008
Tired of battling pool problems and the cost of baquacil for the last two years so we are getting a salt generator. Have drained the pool and am filling it back up as I type this. I have approximate size 27,000 gallon pool. Chlorine generator will be installed next week. I know there will probably be some baquacil in the piping and filter, and plan on cleaning and changing filter sand. What should the chlorine levels be to start and until the chlorine generator is installed, how much 6% bleach do I need to add to the water. What should the ppm be to start? I've tried the calculators, but since I'm new to this, I don't fully understand it. Thanks,

Welcome to TFP!

Once the sand is changed and the pool is filled with new water, you want to balance PH, TA, CH, and salt. Raise the FC level to 15 each evening for a couple of days. During those days, check the overnight FC loss, you want the level to remain the same overnight (or very close). Hopefully, given new water and new filter sand, that will only take a day or two. Once the FC level holds overnight, add CYA and proceed with normal FC levels and starting the SWG.

To raise FC by 15 in 27,000 gallons, use 6 1/2 gallons of 6% bleach.

Thanks for the reply ! The pool is about 1/3 full now and should be filled by late tonight. I will keep it at 15 for a couple of days until it stabilizes. I have drained the filter and cleaned the sand, I was going to change the sand or should I start it up or wait until its running for a couple of days?
Thanks

Update : The conversion is complete and the water is Christal clear, beautiful and clean. Changed filter sand, flushed out all the piping and skimmers and drains. CL is 15 and the PH is 8.0. It took 7 gallons of 6% bleach that includes all the bleach to clean everything including ladders, skimmers, pool sides and drains. I have started the pool fountain to aerate and lower the PH. Now here is my question.

I have been adding bleach and I understand that this will raise the PH in the pool. Aeration will lower the PH, the pool calculator says add 27 oz of muriatic acid to bring the PH to 7.6. Because the CL is at 15 should I add the acid or wait until I bring the CL down to 4 and check it again? I will have the water at 15 for several days until I'm sure it stabilizes.

Thanks

During the conversion, just ignore the PH reading while FC is above 5. When the FC level falls, which will presumably happen during the day today, retest the PH and see if you need to adjust it.

Aeration raises PH when TA is high, it does not lower it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.