A Beginner's Journey: Our First "Real" Pool [18' 52" Round AG]

Jun 15, 2014
Oak Island, North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello TFP! Our Intex 18 ft x 52 in Ultra Frame™ Pool Set w/ Sand Filter Pump was delivered today. We have a contractor lined up to pour a smooth, level concrete pad in the backyard next week. An 18 foot round Gorilla Pad has been ordered and should be delivered very soon. I have all of the instruction manuals spread out on the dining room table - to be studied over the coming days. And I plan to devour as much information from this website as I can process during the setup. I will attempt to document our adventures in pictures and posts over the coming days and weeks. I look forward to hearing from those who have traveled this path before me! We are considering contacting an electrician to have an outlet installed in the pool vicinity. Lots to do and even more to think about!! Am I forgetting anything? Thank you in advance for advice, warnings, cautionary tales, recommendations, questions, and concerns. Here goes nothing...

Welcome to TFP!

You are forgetting your test kit which can be read about here :lookhere:Test Kit Comparison . We recommend the TF100. :goodjob:

I would also recommend you read Pool School and it's contents while you are waiting for your test kit and pool!

As Casey stated, you are going to need your test kit now. You will need to test your fill water. You will also need bleach for startup as well as stabilizer. Might as well have them ready. Read your instructions for the SWCG regarding adding salt. You will most likely need to add the salt and let it circulate for 24 hours with the SWCG off to thoroughly mix. You came to the right place for help. BTW, I have family in Salisbury NC. Good luck!

The key to starting on the right foot is having one of the Recommended Test Kits.

I placed an order for the TF-100 Test Kit with the Salt Test Strips - Aqua Chek addition. I am also compiling a "shopping list" so that I can price some of the items I know I will need for our setup (according to the Manufacturer's Owner's Manuals): Pool Sand (55 pounds No. 20 Silica), Pool Salt (175 pounds), Cyanuric Acid (1.7 pounds). I am in the middle of "Pool School" and have been taking notes. As soon as my test kit arrives I will test our fill water and post the results. Until then, what would you recommend I add to my shopping list? What do you wish you had had during your setup that you didn't?

Get solar salt instead of pool salt and save some money. List looks pretty good, you will want some bleach for the first few days before the salt is dissolved and the SWG is turned on.

You will also likely need muriatic acid to lower the pH eventually.

Our TF-100 test kit arrived yesterday. I intend to test our fill water (tap water) later today both for practice and to use as a base line. Any tips or tricks for a first-timer? I have read through Pool School several times and I feel comfortable that I have a firm grasp on the basics. But I still have a few questions: Should I fill a bowl or bucket and let the water sit for a while to simulate the pool environment? Which tests will actually be beneficial to perform? Thank you to all the great mentors for the continued advice and guidance!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Contractors should be here this morning (weather permitting! there is a chance of rain this afternoon) to pour our concrete pad. That means we might get to set up the pool next week! Thanks to the TFP Forum and the Pool School, I have a pretty good idea of the steps I need to take to start out on the right foot. One question that has stumped me: I want to have all of the protection and padding that I can get. I have a Gorilla Pad. I also have the ground cloth which came with the pool package. Should I use both or just the Gorilla Pad? If both, which should go on the very bottom against the concrete? My instincts tell me Gorilla Pad first, then ground cloth, then pool. But I have been wrong before...

I would just use the gorilla pad but that's just me.

Thanks Casey!
Next question...
Our contractor poured our concrete slab (photos coming soon!) and it looks great. The slab is 20 feet square and our pool is 18 feet round. We were advised to wait one week before filling the pool to allow adequate time for the concrete to cure completely to ensure that it is ready to support the weight of the water. My question is: must we center the pool on the slab or can we set it off to one side, leaving us a “patio” area for a few chairs, umbrellas, et cetera? We want to be structurally sound, but it would be great to have a bonus area next to the pool. Any engineers, experienced individuals, or armchair scientists care to weigh in?

I don't think you're going to have a lot of room for chairs regardless of offsetting pool or not. I would center it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.