New home with Perma Salt above ground pool

Jun 13, 2014
Nashville, TN
We moved in March and have done everything we have been told to do to get the pool opened and ready to swim in. Here it is June and the water is still cloudy and wont clear. We have shocked it with chlorinated and non-chlorinated shock. We have also added the algae killer and baking soda and 40lbs of salt along with the activate and clarate. Now we have added the first aide for swimming pool and it still isn't clearing. What should we do, we are ready to completely empty it and start fresh. Please help.

Welcome to TFP!

Unfortunately, it seems like you have been pool-stored. Some of the products you have added may have interacted with each other to increase the cloudiness you are seeing.

We can help you take control of your pool, and help you learn what everything you add to the pool actually does, rather than adding things to your pool like a "voodoo incantation".

In order for us to help you, you will need to decide to follow our advice.

First, if you decide to follow our advise, then you will need to make the investment in a good test kit. With your pool the way it is, I'd recommend the TF100 test kit with XL option.
If you do get the test kit, we will be able to help to determine how much of your pool you need to empty - it is not a good idea to empty everything at once if you have a vinyl liner pool, or you have a high water table.
Additionally, if you follow our advise, you will be able to continue using the test kit after everything is fixed.

Second, there is another member currently dealing with something similar to you - read his story here.

Third, these are some success stories collected by Richard320, some of them started with a pool much worse than yours is currently. You just need to do what they did:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-to-Clean-tale
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ool-is-winning
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...glorious-swamp (see post#256 on page 13 for the end result)
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...28-TFP-Success
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ark-Green-Pool

What they did was study pool school, get their own test kit, and perform the Shock Level And Maintain process (SLAM).
What you've been doing is beating the algae back (your water is cloudy), but never killing it all completely. That lets it reproduce. You need to knock it down and kick it while its down until it's dead.
If you follow the SLAM all the way through, you water will be so clear you will be able to throw a quarter into your pool and tell whether it's heads or tails.

Finally, you should add the details about your pool to your profile - read this to know what details we need, and how to add them.

Thank you for your response. I put in my signature the data about pool specs, but i guess it didn't show up. In case it doesn't show up again I will post here.
AG (perma salt system)
15,000-20,000g (the diameter measured 25')
Element Filter
Pool was installed 2006
A. O. Smith pump, 2.5spl HP, not sure of the speed.

The water test was as:

FC - 0.3
CC - 0.3
pH - 7.5
TA - 46
CH - 35
CYA - 18
Borates - 31
Salt -250
Cooper - 0.5

We have not added at Borates, but there was a reading for it. We have shocked it with chlorinated shock as mentioned before before we went and bought the stuff to open the pool. When we bought the stuff to add to the pool, the activate and Klarate and the Preperate and have added all that as we have been instructed. I have read a lot of the articles in here and the pool study trying to figure out what to do next since it still isn't clearing up. After we tested our water we called family leasure and told them of the results at which they instructed us to go get a non-chlorine shock (5lbs), baking soda (6lbs), and a bag of aqua salt (40lbs) and to pour it all in there and it would clear the cloudiness up. It is now a blue/white coudy, yet still cloudy. We went back to store and took a sample of water for them to test and was told all we needed was the Pool First Aide, at which we did as directed and was told it would clear it up in a day. It is still cloudy.
What I am wanting to know, is it safe to get pool ready for SLAM, with the cooper system hooked up or is there another way I can fix this apart from having a person come out here and fix it themselves to try to clear it up.
Thanks for any advise.
I am attaching a picture of our pool.20140614_123141.jpg

Wudnpuppet, I would do a search of copper ion systems in this forum. Just be aware of what copper is and what it can do to your pool (stains) and hair (green) then decide if it's something you wish to keep.

Then, I would get away from the pool store altogether. They aren't helping your problems, obviously. They are, however, taking your money without producing results. This has been going on since March.

There is a link in my signature to Trouble Free test kits. It's very easy to learn about your pool chemistry and take control of it yourself. It will be much cheaper in the long run and much more satisfying than continuously getting pool stored. Become committed to the TFPC way because it doesn't jive with pool store advice but it DOES produce results!

Once you have your test kit, run a complete set of numbers and post them here. Follow the advice of the experts here and you will truly have a trouble free pool.

Welcome to the forum and I wish you great success. :flower:

Sometimes people need to hear the same thing many different ways from different people before they decide it's for them. So I'll add my recommendations:

1) Ditch the perma salt system
2) Ditch the pool store (bar yourself from ever going there again or talking to them)
3) Follow all appropriate instructions in Pool School
3a) Read and re-read about the relationship between FC and CYA, it's the basis to it all
4) Get the test kit Abigail mentioned and I'd add, get the Speed Stir (We can tell your numbers are not from a recommended test kit - they are "too accurate" by the decimals and at the same time, probably not at all correct.)
5) Re-read everything in Pool School several more times (it will take that many reads for it start sinking in)
6) Follow EVERY STEP of the SLAM procedures religiously.
7) Repeat step 2 whenever you are tempted to go back to them
8) Oh, yeah, ditch the perma salt!

Sorry to be repetitive, both within my post and of other posts. But most of the TFPC (Trouble Free Pool Care method) converts have read threads ad nauseam where people try to mix our advice with Pool Store advice - they are like oil and water (or better yet, like snake oil and sparkly water).

Sometimes people need to hear the same thing many different ways from different people before they decide it's for them. So I'll add my recommendations:

1) Ditch the perma salt system
2) Ditch the pool store (bar yourself from ever going there again or talking to them)
3) Follow all appropriate instructions in Pool School
3a) Read and re-read about the relationship between FC and CYA, it's the basis to it all
4) Get the test kit Abigail mentioned and I'd add, get the Speed Stir (We can tell your numbers are not from a recommended test kit - they are "too accurate" by the decimals and at the same time, probably not at all correct.)
5) Re-read everything in Pool School several more times (it will take that many reads for it start sinking in)
6) Follow EVERY STEP of the SLAM procedures religiously.
7) Repeat step 2 whenever you are tempted to go back to them
8) Oh, yeah, ditch the perma salt!

Sorry to be repetitive, both within my post and of other posts. But most of the TFPC (Trouble Free Pool Care method) converts have read threads ad nauseam where people try to mix our advice with Pool Store advice - they are like oil and water (or better yet, like snake oil and sparkly water).
What he said!! Read the links Abigail listed. I think you will ditch the pool store.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.