Two interesting videos about Sand Filters

For someone who doesn't and has never owned a sand filter, I found them to be nice videos. The only thing I would disagree on is the fact that he says you don't need to worry about the pressure gauge. Thanks for posting those vids! :cool:

If I were to wait until my water came to a trickle, I'd have blown out plumbing. My VF pump keeps the flow the same regardless of restriction. The pump itself tells me when to backwash based on criteria I have pre-programmed into the system.

Also he talks about the need for a rinse setting. My valve doesn't have rinse, and works just fine. I just let the sand settle for a minute or two before going back to filter.

Is that Phos Free on his top shelf? :D

Robbie,

I don't want to hi-jack the thread at all but don't you get a plume of dirty water when you return to "filter" from "backwash" (since you don't have "rinse")

I'm gonna' talk to my Pentair filter engineer buddy about a couple of things in that video and I'll post some comments back up after we speak.

I don't get a plume at all.
Man, it just shows how different each pool is. I get a little plume even if I "rinse" for 3 minutes. I'm gonna' try rinsing and then letting it sit for a while like you do.....I'll bet that solves my problem.

2nd subject - when to backwash....no word from pentair yet.....I'll keep trying.

When I first moved in, I was using a T100 filter that was installed in 1989 (we found the receipt). Worked great for a while then suddenly I was getting sand in the pool no matter what. I decided that it was old enough I wasn't going to try repairing it and put in the exact same T100. Problem solved, and like I said I never, and I mean NEVER, get any plume or sand into the pool. I've been so happy with the simplicity of my equipment, it almost takes the sting out of it all. I should post pictures of my plumbing and such again. It's bone stock simple. One skimmer, one main drain, 4 returns all at the shallow end blowing at the deep end (although during the replaster we put in standard returns and I modified the eyeballs so they circulate the water), then in the equipment room there is just the pump, SWG, and filter, with the plunger style diverter for filter/backwash. No valves, etc. I guess that's what you got in 1957.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.