Looking for ceramic lined offset smoker.

lovingHDTV

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2007
Round Rock, TX
I've been looking for a smoker that I'd like. I like some of the things about the ceramics, i.e. they are very efficient heat wise. I'm not really into the high heat thing. I like the size of the offset smokers. I have a bullet now and it is frustrating when that rack of ribs or brisket wont fit on the round grate. This is where the offset rules.

Has anyone see an offset smoker that has been lined with ceramic? I know that they line fireplace inserts with the ceramic bricks, but I'd like an offset lined. My thinking would be that this would provide the best of both worlds.

Thoughts?

What kind of bullet do you have? I have a WSM and I don't have any issues with getting whole packers, multiple pork butts, or several racks of spares on mine. I have a Klose rib rack and I can easily get 5 racks of spares per grill in my WSM. Others roll their ribs and use skewers to hold the ribs in a roll shape similar to a can of beer. Also on the whole packers, I simply pull it up in the middle to start the cook and as the meat shrinks it fits easily on the grill.

texasbrew said:
What kind of bullet do you have? I have a WSM and I don't have any issues with getting whole packers, multiple pork butts, or several racks of spares on mine. I have a Klose rib rack and I can easily get 5 racks of spares per grill in my WSM. Others roll their ribs and use skewers to hold the ribs in a roll shape similar to a can of beer. Also on the whole packers, I simply pull it up in the middle to start the cook and as the meat shrinks it fits easily on the grill.

I've a ECB that I like, but when I do a rack of spare ribs I have to curve the end around my rib rack. Doing it this way I can fit them in, I just don't like the hooked end :)

Good suggestion on the brisket. When they are cooked they fit fine but fresh they are too long. I'm doing a smoke next week and will try pulling up the middle.

It is not the typical offset looking product (It is in operation an offset) and it is not cermic lined, but it is insulated. Look at the Stump's Smoker for an off set experience, or another upright like the Spicewine or Backwood Smokers for easy of control and space. The SW and Backwood have the Firebox under the meats. All are insulated, so you get great fire management and lots of room.

I personally have the older Stump Smoker the GF 222 CM and I have cooked 12 (130 lbs) at one time. I could have squeezed 4 more in if needed, but I worry about cutting of heat circulation. Two full packer Briskets fit on One shelf and I have 4 shelves. It is a cooking machine and the new ones are a little bigger so more capacity. My racks are 20 x 20 and I believe that the new ones are 20 x 25. Unfortunatly, the one thing they are not is cheap, but what toy is??? :-D

Another way to get more room is build a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker) out of a 55 gallon drum. They are cheap and work great. I built mine for around $125 bucks (with a new drum) and The first comp out we took 3rd in Ribs.

Good Luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.