High CYA problem

Jun 16, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I am new and have high CYA and of course the same green algae that everyone else gets. Apparently it is due to using tri-chlor tabs. My question is if the tabs keep adding CYA and the CYA never dissolves (everybody says you have to drain and re-fill) why would anybody ever use tabs? This makes no sense to me.

I think you have identified the center of pool store profits. Pool owners want ease of use and most don't want to learn how the water chemistry works. What could be easier than float a few pucks, toss in some shock on the weekend. Oh, you have alge, buy this magic potion. That didn't work, try this. You get fed up with store 1, you move on to store 2.

You really get fed up with being pool stored, you find TFPC.

I wasn't smart enough to deduce the relationship between CYA and FC on my own, but a light went off when I discovered it through this forum. Now my pool is trouble free, good luck with yours!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

So none of you smart people on this forum use tabs with stabilizer?
Pucks/tabs have their place. Keep control of your CYA and they can be used for vacation maintenance. Or, use tabs for that final little bit of CYA to get to your goal.

Your pool is not a Ronco Showtime Rotisserie Oven. You can't set it and forget it.

I know, too much late nite TV.

I am new and have high CYA and of course the same green algae that everyone else gets. Apparently it is due to using tri-chlor tabs. My question is if the tabs keep adding CYA and the CYA never dissolves (everybody says you have to drain and re-fill) why would anybody ever use tabs? This makes no sense to me.

Tabs have their place and use, but they are not recommended for regular routine maintenance of your pool. Far as I have gathered, they should only be used while on vacation or extended time away from your pool. I also wondered why they were made, seems like they could make just straight out chlorine tabs, but I guess that would be too much of a financial loss for the pool stores.

So none of you smart people on this forum use tabs with stabilizer? I guess you could use a small amount of tabs but mix in liquid chlorine also to keep the stabilizer low enough as the water evaporates and you slowly add more water?

As one of the dumber ones on this forum....I don't use tabs....:cool:

I actually have 2 tabs in a floater right now! :shock:

First time I've dragged that thing out since last June or so.

My pool is small and since I haven't added any stabilizer at all since last year and I have backwashed a bunch of times this year...mine actually dipped below 30. I'm trying to bring it up to 40ish and I didn't feel like buying anything else so I dug up my old container of tabs and stuck 2 in my crusty old floater.

If my calculations are correct, each one will raise my CYA 5... plus there was a little sliver left in there from last year (Amazing since the floater has been sitting outside in the elements all year!) I figure all together I should get to 40.

Don't get me wrong....seeing that floater in the pool every day makes me nervous! Those things take forever to dissolve. Now I know why people just buy stabilizer. lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.