Shashlik

Strannik

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
This one is one of my favorites. In fact, it's being cooked while I'm writing this :-D

You will need a bbq which takes wood or charcoal, few metal sticks (kebab style) some charcoal or wood (better).

Ingredients:
As far as the meat goes, i found pork neck is the best. It's juicy and tender, and cooks quick.
Traditional recipe uses lamb.

You will have to marinate the meat first. There are quite a few recipes for that, you can even invent a new one. I usually use mayo, vinegar and whatever spices i can find in the cupboard.

You start with cutting the meat into square chunks, about 1 1/2". Once you done - chuck them all into some container, put mayo in, vinegar, chopped onions, herbs and spices. Cover it and leave for 3-6 hours (or longer if you wish).

For vinegar - don't go overboard or it will be very dry. One-two handfuls is enough for a few kilos of meat.

Now once it's all marinated you fire up the barbie. Let the wood burn, so you get nice red hot charcoals, but no open fire. Now you are ready to cook.

Put 6 pieces of meat on each stick. Not 5 or 7, exactly 6. That's what shashlik stands for :)

Put the stick on a barbie, make sure there is no open flame. If the charcoals are too hot you might need to sprinkle them with beer, so the meat doesn't burn. Turn them over every now and then until it's cooked.

Best eaten hot with a cold beer. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.